Please help me find a suitable replacement rear wheel for use on a turbo trainer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spencer14

Regular
Hi :smile:,

I recently bought a turbo trainer for use with my Pinnacle Arkose 3 (specs listed here: https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-arkose-3-2018-adventure-road-bike-EV306246 ) however I am really struggling to find a suitable back wheel that I can use with this turbo trainer tyre size 700c x 25c (https://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-coperton-indoor-turbo-trainer-tyre/) that I can swap out when using it.

The current wheel is the WTB ST i19 at a rim size of 622 x 19c and the current tyre fitted is 700c x 37c. I have fitted the above turbo trainer tyre to this wheel however it didn't find the creases well and seemed to narrow for the wheel (it was also really painful to swap which is now the no1 reason I am looking to buy a new wheel!).

I've been around in a few circles and learnt a lot along the way... Kept thinking I had found a suitable narrow wheel e.g. Shimano WH-RS100 (more like a road wheel for this turbo tyre) however the axle lengths are always 130mm or 142mm rather than this frame config which is 135mm. It also needs to be quick release and suitable for an 11-speed Shimano set.

I guess a few questions would be... does this type of rear wheel exist? Could I get away with a 130mm wheel and somehow space it out? or should I buy a like for like wheel and just really try and make the turbo trainer fit flush?

Thank you for reading and any help :smile:!

Gunk

Guru
If the bike fits the trainer with its original wheels and tyres on just use it as it is, I’ve never used a specific wheel or tyre.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Should be ok with existing wheel and tyre.

If you want a new wheel, it sounds like its probably off a hybrid with the 135mm (this is the MTB/hybrid axel width for quick release).

Garry A

Calibrating.....
The spec provided in the link shows the bike supplied with knobbly type tyres, using these on the turbo will be extremely loud. There are trainer tyres to fit your wheel but are hard to find.

Top Bottom