PLEASE HELP ! Road bike or maybe Mountain bike >>>

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

graki

200882_2044770.jpg

Hello to all my 1st post here. Im from europe and I'm looking to buy a bike that will use for commuting from home to work. In my price range here in Macedonia we dont have more options for road bike. There's speciallzed store but they are way to much. I found this one and its selling for 550euros. Im 115kg 183cm ,this is L size of the ram. In my route there it it only a small part with not so smooth asphalt, some mini bumps and its 5 km each way (10) total. I was riding mountain bike and find it really heavy to ride on the side on the river, because some days there its strong wind and im in doubt to buy road bike with smooth tires which will go a little easy. I ride the bike 6 times in a week from home to work and back, even in sunday when i have time I go to a ride for 2-3 hours. Can this bike be durable will it hold my weight, there is specification on total weight for 120kg, does will stay strong for example 5 years not including so much in winter ex. 10 months per year of riding. I know that it will be great to have a better breaks then this and better wheels with more spokes but the market is limited like I say. Tires are 28mm and i think its pumped to 7 bars (dont know for sure the pressure). I ride my mountain bike for 2 years on 4.5 Bar (maximum) - 26 wheels and dont have a flat yet, its feels a little hard when you go over bumps but the speed is much faster then when is it on 2.5 - 3 bars. If i buy this bike Im in a doubt that i will must have a pump and reserve tire always with me according to my heavy weight. Thanks for your time for reading this post and Please comment and give me yours expert opinion. I used to ride GT, BMX as a kid and after that I went on mountain and now im not so sure what to do. Should I say or should i go with road. I know there a lot of good quality road bikes but they are way about my budget. Here is the mountain bike that i was looking for also. He is priced 600 euros.Please comment

Bike Specifications : SCOTT SPEEDSTER 50 19
  • Frame
    Speedster / Butted 6061 Alloy
    Endurance geometry / Integrated Headtube
  • Fork
    Speedster Alloy
    1 1/8" Alloy steerer
  • Headset
    Integrated Steel Cup
  • Rear Derailleur
    Shimano RD-A070
    14 Speed
  • Front Derailleur
    Shimano FD-A070
  • Shifters
    Shimano ST-A070
    Dual control 14 Speed
  • Brakes
    Tektro BR-315
    39-51mm
  • Crankset
    Shimano Claris FC-RS200
    50x34 T
  • BB-Set
    Shimano BB-UN26
  • Handlebar
    Syncros RR2.0
    Comfort 31.8mm
  • H'stem
    JD ST123A Alloy
    1 1/8" / four Bolt 31.8mm
  • Seatpost
    Syncros RR2.5 27.2/350mm
  • Seat
    Syncros FL2.5
  • Hub (Front)
    Formula Comp 24 H
  • Hub (Rear)
    Formula Comp 28 H
  • Chain
    KMC Z-7
  • Cassette
    Shimano CS-HG41
    7 Speed 11-28 T
  • Spokes
    SHA-DAR Black 2mm
  • Rims
    Syncros Race 23
    24 Front / 28 Rear
  • Tires
    Schwalbe Lugano
    700x28C
  • Approx weights in KG

Bike specifications : SCOTT ASPECT 950 2020
SCOTT ASPECT 950 2020.jpg

Aspect 900-700 series / Alloy 6061 Custom Butted Tubing BSA73 / Internal Cable Routing / replaceable hanger
  • Suspension Suntour XCT30-HLOHyd. Lockout / 100mm travel
  • Handset Ritchey LOGIC ZERO-OE
  • Rear Derailleur Shimano Altus RD-M2000 27 Speed
  • Front Derailleur Shimano FD-M2000 / 31.8mm
  • Shifters Shimano SL-M2000-9RR-fire plus / 2 way release w/gear indicator
  • Brakeshandlers: Tektro HDM275
  • Brakes Tektro HDM275 / Hydr. Disc 160F/160R rotor
  • Crankset Shimano FC-MT101 40x30x22
  • Bottom bracket Shimano BB-UN100 cartridge type
  • Handlebar Syncros 3.0 / 720mmblack / 31.8mm / 12mm rise / 9° BS
  • H'stem Syncros 3.0 / 7° / Black
  • Pedals Feimin FP-873-ZU
  • Seatpost Syncros 3.0 31.6mm / 350mm / Black
  • Seat Syncros 3.0
  • Hub Formula DC-25 9С RQR disc
  • Chain KMC X9
  • Cassette Shimano CS-HG200-9 / 11-36T
  • Rims Syncros X-20 Disc 32H / black
  • Tires Kenda Booster 2.4" / 30TPI
  • Approx weights in KG 14.60КГ

Sharky

Guru
Whats the secondhand market like?

You dont really need a shiny new bike for commuting. One dirty winter and it will be a wreck.

OP
OP
G

graki

I really dont want to buy second hand. If you say that dirty winter will ruin the bike I will accept that and go for the 2nd. Is he good for the money?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think these are second hand? I don't know of any new road models using 7 speed or MTBs with 9 speed.
If your route is not too rough the 28c tyres on the Scott should handle it but won't be as comfortable as the MTB.
€550 is a lot of money for an older road bike. Isn't there any way you can access a cheaper market in neighbouring countries?

vickster

Legendary Member
I think these are second hand? I don't know of any new road models using 7 speed or MTBs with 9 speed.
If your route is not too rough the 28c tyres on the Scott should handle it but won't be as comfortable as the MTB.
€550 is a lot of money for an older road bike. Isn't there any way you can access a cheaper market in neighbouring countries?
The roadbike is a 2019 model
https://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/912/products/scott-speedster-50--2019-road-bike.aspx

He says the MTB is a 2020

Top Bottom