Please help with crank info

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

krisgoss

Hi all,
I was wondering if you could help me identify this:
Crank.jpg

Please excuse rubbish pic quality!
How would I go about removing one of these?
Basically, I want to upgrade the groupset on my bike, so will need to remove BB, what tools would one need to get this off please?

And can I re-fit a hollowtech II set afterwards?

Thanks

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I'm not sure what make it is, but it's an internal bottom bracket. You'll need the internal BB tool for that make.

As far as I know, all hollowtech BB's are external (bearings on the outside of the shell), so it won't fit your bike.

Also, is that some kind of crack where what I assume is the seat tube meets the BB?

OP
OP
krisgoss

krisgoss

Sorry, it's attached to a Shimano Sora crank, not sure of the BB make though. Just checked, and thankfully there is no crack on the seat tube, just a slight paint scratch.....and a really naff pic.

Can anyone else confirm this with the bearings please? Many thanks Matt!

Cubist

Still wavin'
You'll need a Crank puller and a bb removal tool. You should be able to fit a Hollowtech BB though, as long as its a standard BB shell. They come in three parts, two top hat shaped threaded bearing carriers and a middle joining tube, usually made of plastic. The top hats simply thread into the shell with the middle piece in between them. Depending on the width of the BB shell you'll need the right number of spacers. The two piece cranks then slot through the bearings, and you put the non-drive side crank on, using a plastic tool to set the preload, then tighten the crank arm onto the splined axle. It takes about five or ten minutes, and is a simple task by anybody's standards.

Top Bottom