Please help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kitt

Regular
Hi there folks

I'm new to road cycling having spent the past 20 or so years getting muddy on mountain bikes.

I'm looking at two bikes at the moment and would appreciate your views on them

They are:

1. Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 - https://www.canyon.com/en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3679

2. Giant Defy Advanced 1 - http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/defy.advanced.1/19188/77290/

I'm possibly swayed towards the Canyon as I feel it is likely to be the lighter of the two bikes (I can't find a weight listing for the Giant) and frankly I think it has a nicer paint finish. I am slighly disappointed that Canyon have ditched the Ritchey WCS cockpit for the 2015 models and gone with their own stem and handlebar. I'm sure they're fine but I have Ritchey WCS kit on my mountain bike and I like it a lot.

The Canyon is also slightly cheaper than the Giant although with postage of the Canyon the difference is only around £50.

If however you think there is a better road bike with endurance focused frame geometry For £1500 I'd be grateful to hear what you suggest.

I'm 5'10" and weigh just over 12st (usually 12 dead but Christmas has taken its toll)!

Many thanks

Kitt

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Handbuilt Mercian, you are just over their minimum spec so should be able to upgrade with the extra.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Was in there today and they have a defy 3 at nearly half price :eek: not a 2015 though ! Give the Twickenham branch a call and ask what they have . Failing that I will probably be back in there tomorrow :hyper:

OP
OP
K

Kitt

Regular
Handbuilt Mercian, you are just over their minimum spec so should be able to upgrade with the extra.
Thanks but I had a look and the cheapest bike on there seemed to be this one at £1799:

http://www.merciancycles.co.uk/complete-bikes/105/wiglaf

The groupset and wheels don't look anything special and it's £300 over budget. I doubt it will be anywhere near as light as the Canyon I listed and I just don't think I care enough about having a hand built bike with exclusivity to go there but thanks anyway. It's just not really what I'm after.

OP
OP
K

Kitt

Regular
Was in there today and they have a defy 3 at nearly half price :eek: not a 2015 though ! Give the Twickenham branch a call and ask what they have . Failing that I will probably be back in there tomorrow :hyper:

Thanks for the heads up. I have e-mailed the Twickenham, Guildford and three London branches to see what deals they have.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks but I had a look and the cheapest bike on there seemed to be this one at £1799:

http://www.merciancycles.co.uk/complete-bikes/105/wiglaf

The groupset and wheels don't look anything special and it's £300 over budget. I doubt it will be anywhere near as light as the Canyon I listed and I just don't think I care enough about having a hand built bike with exclusivity to go there but thanks anyway. It's just not really what I'm after.
The prices do seem to have gone up a bit since I last looked, I was thinking of the Audax frame with 105 a couple of years back.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Just been into the Twickenham Giant and didn't see any Mediums in the sale . There was one large Defy though .

OP
OP
K

Kitt

Regular
I'm with Fossy on this, no contest, USA v Germany plus every other cyclist out there is riding a Giant or Specialized. We have a Giant store near us and the quality of some of the products is poor and way overpriced.

I've been checking the sales, saw a good Eddy Mercyx heavily reduced and liked it a lot, also some good reductions on cheaper Colnago models but even with sale discounts nothing seems to come close to the spec and weight of the Canyon so if I go ahead and order anything it will almost certainly be one of those.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
My mate is due to buy the 2015 Giant Defy Advanced 1 you posted, but with a £250 discount, mates rates as his mate is the manager of a Giant Concept Store.

This bike is also featured in this months Cycle Active mag & gets a positive review.

However, it weighs approx 9 KG for the large compared with approx 7.4 KG for the Canyon, or in other terms, a set of wheels heavier than the Canyon.

My money would go on the Canyon if I had any.

Top Bottom