Please sign this petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Why?

The residents have some legitimate concerns and unless the counter petition makes an effort to allay these concerns I'm not going to add my name.

zophiel

Veteran
All I see on that post is a lot of people complaining about a minority of cyclists who like other road users can be a pain. For an annual event why should they not close the roads for the safety of the riders and the public? As for some of the posts underneath they are just idiotic reasons.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

unless the counter petition makes an effort to allay these concerns

Maybe if you read the link?

Created by Keith McRae (known hereabouts as GKam84), the petition is a direct counter to Ian Huggins’ ‘Stop Surrey being turned into a cycle track’ campaign.

One of the most-heard local complaints about the RideLondon 100 was a lack of consultation and notification. Keith McRae writes: “Residents should be informed and brought into discussions about routes and road closures that may come into effect during such high profile events.”

In the comments of Ian Huggins’ petition, many people claim that cyclists don’t pay road tax - one even refers to it as ‘Road Fund Licence’, an official term that disappeared in 1937. Keith McRae takes the opportunity to point out that “the people of Surrey seem to think that their tax is solely spent on the roads of their county for the sole purpose of using their cars to get about” and of course that there is no such thing as road tax.

Mr McRae then dissects Mr Huggins’ original petition point by point, in particular explaining that the RideLondon 100 was not a race, but a challenge event; that all roads are suitable for cycling except motorways; and that a full road closure is the only way to safely run such a large event.

Mr Huggin's points are addressed and the petition calls for consultations, exactly what Huggins asked for. Huggins claims that cyclists are "destroying the hills" and the bike ride means he's a "prisoner in his own home", which means he must have lost the use of his legs, poor chap.

Top Bottom