Please support the campaign for cycle path in South Devon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HKenny

Any south Devon cyclists or regular visitors out there? Please support our campaign for a cycle path between the beautiful village of Stoke Gabriel and the local town of Totnes. There's only 3 miles between them but the A road is too dangerous for cyclists. We need to show there is a demand for this so please would you sign our petition and share with local friends and family. Thank you for your support.
https://www.change.org/p/devon-county-council-cycle-path-between-stoke-gabriel-and-totnes

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Does Devon CC not have its own petitions site? It might be better to use that. Some won't sign change.org because it pesters you I think (same problem with 38 degrees).

You might also find it more convincing to argue that the road is stressful, unpleasant and discouraging to cycle on, rather than actually dangerous, else they'll look at the collision rates which may or may not support you.

Also, motor-free would be better than traffic-free because foot and cycle traffic are still useful traffic.

Finally, good luck nonetheless!

icowden

Veteran
Out of interest, why would you go along the A road rather than Aish road which would seem to be ideal and only a mile longer?

icowden

Veteran
According to google the A385 route is 4.1 miles and has 377ft up vs 472ft down when travelling from Stoke Gabriel to Totnes has 3 climbs, the last of which is on a busy main road..
Via Aish road and longcome it has less elevation but is .8 miles longer, two climbs but one is less steep than not going to longcome
Via Aish road only it is 4.4 miles with 351ft up vs 446ft down. Two climbs, one of which is quite steep.

Personally I'd use the latter and possibly walk part of the main 400m (length) climb.
That said, I've signed the petition. I'm not convinced that it will get anywhere. Stoke Gabriel (pop. 1100ish) is quite small and a cycle lane of that length would be quite costly and probably need some land purchase and hedgerow destruction.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You'd also get a rubbish Sustrans path unsuitable for road bikes.
Yeah, let's be negative and kill the campaign before it starts (!)

It'd be better to stress that any path must be built to full Design Manual standard, wide enough, smooth enough and strong enough for emergency vehicles to use it to get past blockages caused by motorists.

OP
OP
H

HKenny

Thanks for the positive comments. Just a late reply to clarify that we haven't settled on a route. We are in discussions with all the relevant parties and making careful assessment of various options. We're making really good progress though. So please do share and support this.

Top Bottom