Please tell me....hills get easier??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
N

nezbutz

On Sunday I attempted the hill same hill I had tried a month of so back, which then took me at least 3 stop to get to the top! This time I got to the top in one go! I took your advice and didnt cycle like mad at the bottom, just took my time and bingo! I had just bought a spanking new blue cycle jacket though and I think this definately helped!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
new blue cycle jacket

Who says the right gear doesn't enhance performance.

My commute is hilly enough, but the last couple of days I've yearned for more hills.

(Up) Hills are a great way to warm up in cold weather (reduced wind chill and increased effort)

zacklaws

Guru
The only ones that get easy, are the ones you ride often, and when they do, you look for another challenge, and then another and so on........ And then you do combinations of them, with longer distances between, or with less time between, always wanting to push yourself to the limits, using higher gears or aiming for faster times, its endless.

One hard hill I finally conquered by wearing my "Columbia" shirt, I was too proud of my shirt to be seen stopped by the roadside, so I pushed hard all the way.

"...you don't fly up a hill. You struggle slowly and painfully up a hill, and maybe, if you work very hard, you get to the top ahead of everyone else."
--Lance Armstrong

GrasB

Veteran
zacklaws said:
"...you don't fly up a hill. You struggle slowly and painfully up a hill, and maybe, if you work very hard, you get to the top ahead of everyone else."
--Lance Armstrong
However your definition of a hill slowly changes over time as you get stronger. There was a time when chapel hill & limekiln hill were insurmountable inclines that were pure torture to even think about climbing. Now they're just warm-ups & I get frustrated they're not long enough to really get into so just attack them on the top chainring for s**ts n' giggles.

jimboalee

I have re-geared my Land Rover. Yes, I am on the correct forum.

Original equipment was a 42/34/24 chainset to a 11 – 32 8 cassette. Now it's a 12 – 23 road cassette.

For the sake of closer steps at the top end, I've sacrificed the 21 and 18" gears at the bottom end.

As I see it, the resultant 25" lowest will have me pedalling at 30 rpm ( 1 pedal push per second ) at 2.5 mph.

To get my total mass up a 25% hill at 4 kmh will require 300 Watts, which I can do standing up while pretending to climb a few flights of stairs.

You may say I'm crazy – making the steep hills more difficult, but how often am I asked to get up a 25% incline?

Top Bottom