Pleeeease Help!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

revvers

I have returned to cycling after 15 years. I want to use my Ribble bike and uprate the groupset. I am on an extreme budget. I have a FH-1055 hub and a 7 speed cassette. I have bought a 10 speed STI lever and chain. I bought a 10 speed cassette which does not fit my hub. When I took one of the cogs off it did, but was a bit loose. I presumed I could get a spacer and restrict the movement so that I could use the 10 speed shifter with the now 9 speed cassette. However I have been told by my LBS that I shall need to buy a new freehub. I am TOTALLY confused!! Could any one out there tell me the easiest/cheapest solution to my problem please

PpPete

Legendary Member
There is a well documented "fix" where you can take a cog off a 9 speed cassette and use just 8 out of 9 on a 7 speed freehub.
Several online places seem to offer the spacers for that (1 mm IIRC)
You could try one of those.

If not - buy a proper 10 speed hub and rebuild your wheel around it ?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I don't really see why you're trying this at all. 7 speed stuff is still easily available.
A 10 speed cassette won't go on a 7 speed freehub, as you've found, and I don't see the point in trying to bodge it on by removing cogs. However, if you still want to, I'd try to get some spacers from your LBS, or take an old cassette to bits to get some. Take a cog out (but not the smallest one) and stick spacers on behind the cassette till the lockring will tighten up. Simples! ;)

jimboalee

revvers said:
I have returned to cycling after 15 years. I want to use my Ribble bike and uprate the groupset. I am on an extreme budget. I have a FH-1055 hub and a 7 speed cassette. I have bought a 10 speed STI lever and chain. I bought a 10 speed cassette which does not fit my hub. When I took one of the cogs off it did, but was a bit loose. I presumed I could get a spacer and restrict the movement so that I could use the 10 speed shifter with the now 9 speed cassette. However I have been told by my LBS that I shall need to buy a new freehub. I am TOTALLY confused!! Could any one out there tell me the easiest/cheapest solution to my problem please

If you are indeed on an EXTREME budget, it would be prudent to stick with what you have and only spend money on parts you ABSOLUTELY need to keep the thing rolling.

I have found to the pains of my wallet that trying to 'trick up' an old bike ends up to be a false economy.

Too late in your case but others beware...

Two Dawes, three Peugeots and a Sun later, I have learned my lesson. No sorry, I have a Ladies Batavus and a Ladies Apollo in the shed which I spent money on for no sensible reason.

OP
OP
R

revvers

Cheers for the input lads. I bought the cassette as my 7 speed gearing was ok when I was 30, but I need something with a bit more give now!! I also bought the sti levers as they seem safer on the road. I bought the 10 speed as I didnt think it would be such a palaver to convert!! Have to have a think how to go now!

jimboalee

revvers said:
Cheers for the input lads. I bought the cassette as my 7 speed gearing was ok when I was 30, but I need something with a bit more give now!! I also bought the sti levers as they seem safer on the road. I bought the 10 speed as I didnt think it would be such a palaver to convert!! Have to have a think how to go now!

If you WAS 30, and you haven't ridden it for 15 years, that makes you mid-forties now.

Come on man. You're not drawing your pension for another 20 years, so why the need for lower gearing?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If you want lower gearing then deffo go with 7 speed rather than 10. I'm using a 12-32 (!) 7 speed cassette, whereas with 10 speed your widest range is 12-27.

OP
OP
R

revvers

Jimboalee, yes you're right I should be grinding them big cogs at my age but am recovering from a cruciate ligament replacement (and a fat gut!) so you need to cut me some slack there!!!:evil:
Doctor, can I use those 10 speed shifters and just restrict the rear deurallieur movement?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Ermm, no, sadly. The spacing between each cog is different for 7,8,9 and 10 speed.

Top Bottom