Plod prefer awareness course to prosecution

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
"ignorance of the law is not a defence".
And I found that in a spinoff legal action after my divorce.
So the implication here is that every Joe & Jane Citizen is expected to be fully compliant with every single facet of every law in this country. :dry:
If that's the case, why do we need solicitors - ? :whistle:

figbat

Slippery scientist
So the implication here is that every Joe & Jane Citizen is expected to be fully compliant with every single facet of every law in this country. :dry:

No, we don’t need to be conversant with every law, but we must accept that if we inadvertently break a law, there are still consequences. Otherwise we can simply do as we wish and claim ignorance.

Brandane

Legendary Member

We need solicitors to convince gullible judges and juries that we didn't break the law of which we are accused, and were ignorant of in the first place!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
A million times NO to this. The Police are supposed to be impartial, that is one of the most important principles of any justice system. It is not the function of the Police to "keep the courts as empty as possible due to the backlog of cases". That is the job of the CPS (in England and Wales). If the CPS are struggling to cope, that is their problem. And if my memory serves me right, are you not another ex PC? 😳

Yes over 30 years ago. Its my opinion. I assume I am still entitled to it?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
In fact it's nothing to do with law, it's just common sense and courtesy. If you accidentally knock a old lady or man in the street don't you at least stop and apologise?

I think that depends on the reaction of the person you have just knocked off. The driver suggested that he was afraid of what was going to happen to him at the scene. That does not excuse him from reporting the accident to the police though.

Top Bottom