Plumbers? Leaking bar mixer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
hi
noticed the water running from the right side of the shower. it's at the base trickling down the wall.
likely to just be a seal that's gone?
can't see any stopcock nearby so might have to turn the mains off to fix this one. it's an on-suite shower unit.

1.1836.005_LNN.jpg

thanks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Concealed pipes ?

There should be a 'turnable' screw/stop cock somewhere, but ours was located under the bath - wasn't an issue as I was changing the shower unit and the bath side was out.

If coming out of the base I'd suggest the fitting is lose, but this could be a right pain if it's all concealed. You've got mains cold pressure, so it will come out at the slightest hole.

Without knowing the fitting, you've likely got a brass olive that butts up to the tap, and a nut that compresses this into the fitting. That could be loose, or, there could be damage to the thread, or even a small crack (lots of plastic in modern fittings, which I hate.

I've has a few leaks, and the shower 'olive' needs to be tight on the inlet - the inlet thread is often 'plastic'. I had the plastic inlet let go on the toilet - water flowing everywhere. Managed to find an inlet valve with a copper thread rather than plastic.

Oh and don't get me started on plastic 'top hats' breaking months after fitting a new bath (and sealing in the side).

OP
OP
NorthernSky
thanks, i'll have another look around for the valve but i think it's maybe under the shower tray. need to get a proper look around as i only noticed last night

Levo-Lon

Guru
Turn off water and che k compression joint..

Should be easy fix

Remove mixer and re- seal with plumbers paste on the compression fittings.
Dont over toghten, just a good nip up.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
By the way, these things are not normally rocket science and will come apart quite easily, if you know how.

Identify the make/model and hit google or youtube to find instructions on assembly/dismantling the mixer unit. You will likely find that the leak is a common fault and advice on exactly what is needed to fix it.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Don't assume it will be a leaky compression joint. These things often clip together with just o-ring seals nowadays. Going near such things with jointing paste or ptfe tape etc will make things worse.

Wont know untill its off the wall.
Be a unique O- ring too if it is a oring

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Replaced the thermostatic controller valve unit in our 20yr old Mira Excel shower a yr or two ago. As this is essentially the business end of the shower, the rest is just pipes and fittings, I was amazed by two things;
  1. Parts were still available, nice one Mira for product support.
  2. Cost, including delivery, was about £70-80. Bargain for an effectively new shower.

OP
OP
NorthernSky
Last time our en suite mixer jobby started leaking it was £350 ish for the parts, I think the plumbing supplier just thought of a number then added a nought!

sounds about right!

If it's upstairs look in the loft above it for the isolating valves, the pipe work may come down, not go up

it is upstairs and i've recently boarded the loft , could be a ***** to get at now:cry:
found the main stopcock under the sink and surprise surprise, it's seized tight. going to a careful fiddle with it see if i can get it loosened.

Similar happened to me, it was a fabric style washer that had deteriorated. Fairly simple to replace.

i'm hoping it's this.

Top Bottom