Plumbing - alternative to soldering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
My house was built in 1987 with all push-fit and plastic pipes, apart from the initial run from the boiler. The only one that ever gave way was one on the incoming cold water mains pipe.
How much of a flood did that cause? My house was built in 1947, and nothing has let go (yet).

OldShep

Über Member
How much of a flood did that cause? My house was built in 1947, and nothing has let go (yet).

I never had you down as at least 76yo
i hope you’ve swapped out those lead pipes.

Last edited:

presta

Guru
I never had you down as at least 76yo
i hope you’ve swapped out those lead pipes.

No, I've been here 63 years, but if nothing's gone in that time it's not likely it went in the first 13. Most of the original pipes were steel, but they're all copper now, with solder or compression joints. The only leak there's been was the main out in the drive about 30 years ago.

Fields Electric

I have had a new boiler fitted to my X parents house. The plumber ripped out all the compression fittings we put under the floor. When we put the first DIY system in. They used solder ones in there place. They don’t trust anything else!

OP
OP
lazybloke

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Thanks for all the info.
Seems like decent quality push-fit is acceptable if fitted correctly including good support, which I suppose is fine if time is money and you know how to use them, but i see no obvious benefit for DIY use.l'll stick with soldering.

As for the pipes i want to alter, they are simply too far into a tight space for me to reach (the two lower pipe's in the photo). I'm leaving them as is.
Can barely get my hand in there, let alone tools.

PXL_20230527_091354417.jpg

Top Bottom