Plumbing leaks..... grrrrr!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I think you are right! My sister landlady wants to go the vinyl route anyway.

There is potentially a complication, which is that the floor isn't completely flat. Those wimpish joists have sagged/twisted*** during the 140 year history of the house (assuming that they are original). I'm thinking that vinyl would need a flatter surface than that to lie on.

*** Many of the houses round here have been subject to significant subsidence. This house leans so much that you can feel that you are walking uphill or downhill as you cross this room!

Some friends used to live in a flat above the cafe opposite Tod park. That building is at a crazy angle! They invited me round for a meal. Afterwards they asked if I'd like an apple. I said yes so they tossed one over but it slipped from my hand and fell to the floor. I watched in amusement as it rolled across the room gathering speed until it was trapped in the corner.

View attachment 514862
Hardboard sheeting atop the floorboards, then the floor covering.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hardboard sheeting atop the floorboards, then the floor covering.
Those were my thoughts too.

The question now is... try to save landlady/sister some money by doing it myself, or leave it to the professionals and avoid any stress! (Either way, it can wait until the virus is no longer a big problem. I don't want tradesmen coming in just now (if we could even find any still working) and I don't want to go out to buy materials either.

classic33

Leg End Member
Those were my thoughts too.

The question now is... try to save landlady/sister some money by doing it myself, or leave it to the professionals and avoid any stress! (Either way, it can wait until the virus is no longer a big problem. I don't want tradesmen coming in just now (if we could even find any still working) and I don't want to go out to buy materials either.
How big an area needs to be done?

classic33

Leg End Member
I don't know exactly - my tape measure is in lockdown! :laugh:

(I was in the middle of helping a friend make some raised beds for her allotment and was supposed to go back to finish the job but got locked out with my bag of tools left over there...)

Roughly 8 square metres.
Well a size 10 is a foot(12 inches), and the outside of your elbow to the finger tip(same arm) is approximately 18 inches.

Buy in and do it yourself, 8' X 4' boards are cheap enough. The labour will be about three times the cost of the boards.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
When you can get your hardboard Colin, nail it down with ring shank nails closely spaced. They won't work loose although they're a swine to remove if you get another leak and have to lift the floor to repace soggy chipboard. Guess how I know this? A garden spade with plenty of momentum seemed to work pretty well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom