Plumbing sizes, i'm confused

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
finally got a picture of this.
intact washer from the hot side. it is quite thick but i think this is because it's expanded over time? doesn't seem to be made of rubber
if a rubber replacement worked i'd try that though
View attachment 588928

removed the mushed one
View attachment 588929

still struggling to get a replacement :wacko:
Washing machine washer?

The flat bit is mostly the washer as bought, the really swelled bit is the wettest bit and has swelled just beacause it isn't constarined, a small bit inboard of the fat bit is the bit that actually seals, from swelling up but being constrained it is only a tiny area and the crushed washer is mostly completely dry. Any cycling of that joint face from say dragging yourself out of the bath would have the wet area spread and eventually get a weep, but in general fibre washers do a great job, rubber washers squirm if overtightened, and they can't take out imperfections in the mating surfaces anywhere near as well.

OP
OP
NorthernSky
i couldn't find a thick enough fibre washer so ended up putting a rubber O ring around the thread and a rubber washing machine 3/4" washer in front of it. a few days ago and no leaks so hopefully all good.

classic33

Leg End Member
i couldn't find a thick enough fibre washer so ended up putting a rubber O ring around the thread and a rubber washing machine 3/4" washer in front of it. a few days ago and no leaks so hopefully all good.
Did you try using two fibre washers.

OP
OP
NorthernSky
Did you try using two fibre washers.
yeah, the fibre would not swell in any way though, i even submerged them overnight to see if they would take on water but no
they are a millimeter or so short of touching the threads so without the swelling to fill the gap the water passed through
the intact one is definitely an odd size, it's quite thick as you can see
oh, i also bought leather washers! they weren't on my radar until i spied them in b&q. was willing to try anything

newts

Veteran
You can try 2 x 3/4“ fibre washers on both hot & cold. Clean the faces of the joint well before reassembly. Tighten each side a lilttle at a time to keep the torque even & the valve straight on the supply unions.

Top Bottom