Pointless & impractical vehicles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
A lot of these are novelties clearly built tongue-in-cheek just for the sake of it, and I don't think deserve the flak they're getting.

Also, providing the conversion is sympathetic, subtle and proficient who doesn't love a massively powerful engine swap into something unassuming? "Sleepers" are some of the best modified cars IMO.

For me the most pointless and impractical vehicles are the growing raft of "high-end" / performance chelsea tractors and soft-roaders being cynically shat out onto the market. Needlessly large and heavy high-rise icons of crass conspicous consumption that are often only driven in urban environments and sacrifice materials, fuel consumption, emissions and other road user's safety, visibility and space just to satisfy the owner's mis-placed subservience to an totally false and manufactured ideal of what constitutes "success".

Yes but some of them offer some nice comfort for the journey, Mini or a Range Rover for a long journey I know which I would go in. Having said that I dislike both.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
it also sort of depends on which country (or state in the US) the vehicle intends to be used in. For example I've seen some hot rods that would probably not pass an MOT over here due to lack of visibility, no bumpers, pointy body work etc:
rod.jpg

So for over here I think they'd be useless, but if you can get an MOT where you live then I expect they'd be quite fun and you can put shopping in the back seats

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A work of art for me and you can go to the shops in it..

To be fair this was VW showing what they can do..not really a production car
Good luck parking it at Tesco, a mate from school who owns a house building company drives an Aston Martin and he's lost count of the times that the car has been scratched by trolleys, keyed or had a door opened into the side of it........never happens to his Van.

Drago

Legendary Member
My Dad was looking to buy an Aston martin, and went to view their stand at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. in the end he didn't for just that very reason - he'd have been worried to leave it parked anywhere.

So he bought a Socata TB20 Trinidad aircraft instead.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My Dad was looking to buy an Aston martin, and went to view their stand at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. in the end he didn't for just that very reason - he'd have been worried to leave it parked anywhere.

So he bought a Socata TB20 Trinidad aircraft instead.
Russ' is quite old now a DB7 Vantage V12 but he's had it from new, he reckons it's the last of the 'hairy arsed' real Astons. Last time I saw him with the car was at my Cousins 25th wedding anniversary party where he pulled away quite sedately for 20-30yds then 'booted it', quite spectacular. :becool: Set off quite a few car alarms along the road. :laugh:

Ugly? Not to all tastes, for sure. I rather like it.
Pointless? Well, it's rather good at its intended function, being very, very, very fast indeed.
Impractical? To an extent. You'll have problems getting the weekly shop in it and fuel consumption struggles to get in single figures. Then there are the servicing costs.....
That said: it's a Volkswagen. This thing is not only very, very fast, you could (budget and tyre life permitting) drive it for many miles in all weathers. Apparently some owners do 12,000 miles a year in them.

Didn't Gordon Murray, with the McLaren F1 try to make if as practical as possible? (for what it was)
Docile, tractable, the ability to potter along in traffic, clear a speed-bump without having to stop/raise suspension

Plus. it's still utterly gorgous, & (as if it really matters??) still the fastest naturally aspirated road car?

About as much use as the Range Rover off road, I remember walking the 'Cat & Fiddle' in the late 80s and using the old road to drop into Buxton instead of the newer road (it was too steep to Tarmac so they built a longer but shallower gradient) About a mile or so down the track I was passed by 2 smartly dressed couples covered in black peat bog mud (one of the blokes was slightly less filthy than the others) about half a mile on was a Range Rover about 150yds off the 'road' (well more of a farm track by now) buried up to it's door sills in a peat bog. Ah I thought, no wonder they didn't respond to my cheery halloo as I'd passed them. :laugh:

The old (pre 1750s) Turnpike, that's just now a stone-base?

RRs are very capable in most terrains, but like any vehicle there are limits

The crossing of the Darien Gap springs to mind

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Didn't Gordon Murray, with the McLaren F1 try to make if as practical as possible? (for what it was)
Docile, tractable, the ability to potter along in traffic, clear a speed-bump without having to stop/raise suspension

Plus. it's still utterly gorgous, & (as if it really matters??) still the fastest naturally aspirated road car?
He did indeed. Though it doesn't have a radio because he hated them.

He did indeed. Though it doesn't have a radio because he hated them.
I'm not a fan of B*W, but that was a great engine in the F1

I went to the cremation of a good friend/work-collegue/damned fine MTB-XC racer at the end of last month, & one of the other mourners, who Nic (the deceased) had kept in touch with... who I also know (but had lost touch with) works for McLaren
He's driven a F1, & seems to think it's their best

Yup. Autocar did a supplement back in 1995 (I think) about the F1's creation, still got it somewhere…
I think I may have too?

I still have a cut-away drawing/print in a frame (about 24" x 12")

This booklet??
https://issuu.com/themagazineshop/docs/mclaren_f1

Last edited:
Top Bottom