Pointless plumbing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Is this (from the radiator in the hall, if it makes a difference) as redundant as it is ugly?

photo_2022-07-10_12-29-10.jpg

Would getting rid of it be a straightforward job, or would it take a proper plumber? (I'm thinking 6" of copper tubing + a couple of new 'olives', to substitute for everything between the top and bottom nuts...does that sound doable?)

Any hints & tips much appreciated.

avsd

Guru
That looks to be the drain point from for your system.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Depends what you mean. The lower fitting is a drain. This will be about the lowest part of the system. It's used to drain down the system so you definitely need it in place.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
But the top bit, all above the bleed valve can be removed can't it? You'll have to put a blanking plug on but that shouldn't be difficult.
Looks like the walls, floor and skirting need a bit of work too.

Last edited:
Reactions: gbb
If this is the only draincock on the circuit you'll need to leave it where it is or install one elsewhere. Capping it off is a matter of fitting a compression stop end.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
The answer completely depends on your requirements. Do you require easy installation of a radiator in that position should you ever need one? Is it the only drain cock on your system? If the answer to both is yes then leave it be. If no then you can get rid of it if it annoys you.

irw

Quadricyclist
As an aside, if you are leaving it in, it would be very prudent to put a blanking cap on the radiator valve, just incase it starts leaking or someone turns it on!!

gbb

Legendary Member
Removal of the rad valve itself is easy, take everything off back to the draincock then fit a bung in the last compression nut on the draincock i assume.
But how do you stop the water flowing before you start ?
Genuine question, if i were doing it, its the first thing id want to know.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member

Funny my system does not have one of those whatsoever !! All the plumbers that have come to my house , just take of the small radiator furtherest away and attach a hose with appropriate fitting . This would make things that little bit easier though ! Next time that has to be done I’ll maybe fit one .

In fact come to think of it, last plumber didn’t even do that ? Just depressurised the system first And quickly blanked off .

Top Bottom