Pointless plumbing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

irw

Quadricyclist
Removal of the rad valve itself is easy, take everything off back to the draincock then fit a bung in the last compression nut on the draincock i assume.
But how do you stop the water flowing before you start ?
Genuine question, if i were doing it, its the first thing id want to know.

Either drain the system down, or use a pipe freezing kit, if you have access to a 6” section of the pipe shortly before the bit you need to chop off…you do need to have nerves of steel, and be absolutely certain about what you’re doing to do the pipe freezing method as a diy’er though!

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Either drain the system down, or use a pipe freezing kit, if you have access to a 6” section of the pipe shortly before the bit you need to chop off…you do need to have nerves of steel, and be absolutely certain about what you’re doing to do the pipe freezing method as a diy’er though!

Lacking both certainty and nerves of steel I'm sticking with Plan A - orange & lime green. :okay:

newts

Veteran

On a sealed heating system you let the pressure off & drain a small amount of water until it creates a vacuum in the system. You can do simple repairs like rad valve change without draining the complete system down. On an open vented system you put a bung in the vent pipe & cold inlet to create the same.

Top Bottom