Pointless.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
A question came up on the BBC program Pointless about Cumbria all about the Lake District

What is the biggest lake in Cumbria.The answer given was Lake Windermere .Correct .Wrong it’s a mere.Ther is only one Lake in the Lake District with lake I it’s title that is Bassenthwaite the rest are waters,Tarns or Meres
Shows how pointless this program is.
I wasn’t watching the program it was Mrs P who asked me the question.
Perhaps a better way of putting the question would have been what is the largest expanse of waterin the Lake District..

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
That's along the same lines as 'how many Lakes are there in Scotland?'
I believe the answer to this is 1.

However, to outpedant you, I would say there are numerous lakes in the Lake District, but only one Lake.

OP
OP
pawl

pawl

Legendary Member
That's along the same lines as 'how many Lakes are there in Scotland?'
I believe the answer to this is 1.

However, to outpedant you, I would say there are numerous lakes in the Lake District, but only one Lake.

Most people do call them lakes which is understandable but when questions are put to contestants they shoul be accurate.Have the researchers never heard of Google

I would have said Scotland lakes are called Lochs.

Tin Pot

Guru
A question came up on the BBC program Pointless about Cumbria all about the Lake District

What is the biggest lake in Cumbria.The answer given was Lake Windermere .Correct .Wrong it’s a mere.Ther is only one Lake in the Lake District with lake I it’s title that is Bassenthwaite the rest are waters,Tarns or Meres
Perhaps a better way of putting the question would have been what is the largest expanse of waterin the Lake District..

This is a show called ‘pointless’ run by a comedian...I just need to say it, the clue is in the title. :smile:

U

User482

Write to points of view.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Most people do call them lakes which is understandable but when questions are put to contestants they shoul be accurate.Have the researchers never heard of Google

I would have said Scotland lakes are called Lochs.
Yup - it's a question along the same lines as the lake district one.
Google says Lake of Menteith is the only natural body of water in Scotland called a Lake.

Top Bottom