Polar FT60 Heart Rate Monitor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shady

Firstly here's the link to the Polar website so you can see the specifications in detail :

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products/improve_fitness/fitness_crosstraining/FT60/

I know it isn't necessarily a piece of cycling kit as such, but i thought given that I purchased one and am finding it incredibly useful and motivating then I would post a review !!!

Firstly this is a Heart Rate Monitor which can be used for pretty much any sporting activity, it consists of the HRM unit (watch) and the transmitter chest band with a clip on transmitter.

The construction of all the items is pretty sturdy and should last a good while - but you do also have the possibility of purchasing replacement parts (transmitter strap/ transmitter) if they get broken / wear out / get lost. So you wouldn't have to buy the complete kit if you lost part of it.

The watch has what they call the STAR training program which after an initial fitness test (checking your resting heart rate) and inputting your vital stats (dob / age etc), will allow you to start a specific program (weight loss / fitness etc) and it uses your heart rate intensity zones to calculate the amount of time to exercise to achieve your program targets. Its a bit like a personal trainer in a watch as it advises you if you are working well or not so well !

I myself have set it to a weight loss program and it calculates the time I need to exercise at low intensity / medium intenisty / high intensity to achieve the required calorie deficit.

The watch is really easy to read with big digits and the transmitter works very well and hasn't skipped a beat (pardon the pun), I have used it for cycling in and out of work / walking in and out of work and for running.

The other benefit is that the HRM now comes with a unit called a FlowLink, this unit used to be £40 on its own but is now included and allows you to upload your exercise results to the polar website (after registering).

On the website after upload, you can track calories burned / percentage calories from fat / times exercised in the different intensity zones and you can manually enter other info also (distances travelled etc).

The watch also has optional extras - GPS unit for using with bikes etc and a FootPod similar to the nike plus foot unit for calculating distance etc.

Overall I am very impressed and pleased with my purchase, not only for the ability to track progress on my exercise regime but also as a motivational tool to get my ass moving !!!

The watch is around £130 but as it now includes the FlowLink which is £40 on its own, I think its a bargain.

Overall a 9/10 for me as the transmitter strap can get a bit itchy/uncomfortable at times but its not a major hassle.

Comments / questions will be greatfully received.

Shady

;)

Top Bottom