"Police and Courts Failing Cyclists"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I've not seen this posted so I'll stick my neck out.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...fail-cyclists-road-safety-cross-party-inquiry

It's a Grauniad link, but this was never going to make it to the DM, was it?

Lots to ponder in there including some numbers on prosecutions and bans. Comments section is as you'd expect. Despite the report, I'm confident the quiet side of feck all will happen about it.

Enjoy.

The Guardian
“The justice system is failing to protect cyclists, both by allowing dangerous and inconsiderate driving to go unchecked, and by letting down the victims of road crashes,” said the report, co-chaired by the Labour MP Ruth Cadbury and the Tory MP Alex Chalk.

The report made 14 recommendations:
  • The Highway Code should be revised
  • The driving test must be changed to help improve driver behaviour towards cyclists
  • Professional drivers should be retested more frequently
  • Roads policing should be given a higher priority
  • The Government and other local authorities should adopt similar partnerships to the ones in London in other parts of the country, to counter the risk posed by illegal freight operations
  • The Department for Transport and Ministry of Justice should research the growing discrepancy between road casualty figures
  • More police forces should adopt close passing enforcement practice on a wider scale
  • The police must ensure that a higher standard of investigation is maintained in all cases where serious injury has resulted
  • All police forces should ensure that evidence of common offences submitted by cyclists, or other witnesses, using bike or person mounted cameras or smart phones is put to use, and not ignored
  • The length of time required by the Police to serve a Notice of Intended Prosecution for a road traffic offence is currently just 14 days and must be extended
  • Confusion and overlap between ‘careless’ and ‘dangerous’ driving means that often bad driving does not receive the level of punishment that the public feel it should, the MoJ should investigate how these offences are being used
  • The police and CPS should ensure that victims and bereaved families are always kept adequately informed throughout the process of deciding charges
  • The Ministry of Justice should examine the reasons behind the decline in the use of the penalty of disqualification
  • The Soft Tissue Injury Reforms – the ‘whiplash reforms’ – should not include injuries to cyclists or pedestrians

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
http://searchingforlaugh.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/roads-as-chasms-and-crosswalks-as.html?m=1
Karl%2BJilg%2Bhow%2Bmuch%2Bpublic%2Bspace%2Bwe%2Bcede%2Bto%2Bcars.jpg

Tin Pot

Guru
The Guardian

The report made 14 recommendations:
  • The Highway Code should be revised
  • The driving test must be changed to help improve driver behaviour towards cyclists
  • Professional drivers should be retested more frequently
  • Roads policing should be given a higher priority
  • The Government and other local authorities should adopt similar partnerships to the ones in London in other parts of the country, to counter the risk posed by illegal freight operations
  • The Department for Transport and Ministry of Justice should research the growing discrepancy between road casualty figures
  • More police forces should adopt close passing enforcement practice on a wider scale
  • The police must ensure that a higher standard of investigation is maintained in all cases where serious injury has resulted
  • All police forces should ensure that evidence of common offences submitted by cyclists, or other witnesses, using bike or person mounted cameras or smart phones is put to use, and not ignored
  • The length of time required by the Police to serve a Notice of Intended Prosecution for a road traffic offence is currently just 14 days and must be extended
  • Confusion and overlap between ‘careless’ and ‘dangerous’ driving means that often bad driving does not receive the level of punishment that the public feel it should, the MoJ should investigate how these offences are being used
  • The police and CPS should ensure that victims and bereaved families are always kept adequately informed throughout the process of deciding charges
  • The Ministry of Justice should examine the reasons behind the decline in the use of the penalty of disqualification
  • The Soft Tissue Injury Reforms – the ‘whiplash reforms’ – should not include injuries to cyclists or pedestrians
If anyone of those recommendations make it through it'll be good news. :smile:

Top Bottom