Police ask for help to catch driver targeting cyclists...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Quote:
Cyclists in Wiltshire and Gloucestershire are being urged to help police bring to justice a motorist caught on film veering across the road to pass an oncoming rider with just inches to spare in what appears to be a deliberate and highly dangerous close pass.

Link to road cc story

Psycho. Take his car. Immediate Section 59. that's like pranking someone by aiming a loaded gun at their head.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Terrible.

I've had that happen to me. Utterly terrifying, and like Glenn says, it's as much of a threat as someone pulling a knife or gun on you.

Crankarm

Guru
Plod, if they can be ar$ed, can easily go and bang on the door at the address of the registered owner. I'd say it's at least a s.18 OAPA with intent or attempted murder for each occasion he, or she, has pulled the stunt. I'd shoot the driver who is doing this, if of course it were legal.

albion

Guru
"The husband of one of those cyclists told road.cc via Facebook that police proceedings are now under way against the motorist."

That 'independent witness' thing is darn weird though.
Someone tries to kill you and PC plod almost said 'not interested'.

Last edited:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
"The husband of one of those cyclists told road.cc via Facebook that police proceedings are now under way against the motorist."

That 'independent witness' thing is darn weird though.
Someone tries to kill you and PC plod almost said 'not interested'.
That bothers me, too :sad:. The video makes it obvious what occurred, and would be very difficult to fake.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
From what I read, it appears the woman quoted in the article just called in after experiencing a similar incident -without video or physical evidence. While I could see you could argue you need a corroborating witness if this just came out of the blue (i.e. you just didn't make it up to get a driver in trouble just because they annoyed you) she said she mentioned the video (or so I thought from the article anyway). Given that, you'd think she should be taken more seriously.

It also begs the question: if you report someone tried to knife/shoot you without other witnesses or physical evidence, would they also not take you seriously until you had a witness? I know it's not the same, but it can't be very often someone says they swerved from the other side of the road. I think if someone reported that to me I'd be inclined to take it very seriously.

And yes, this is definitely an advantage for having a head-cam without a doubt.

That bothers me, too :sad:. The video makes it obvious what occurred, and would be very difficult to fake.

BSRU

A Human Being
Hopefully he gets more than a slap on the wrist, although from personal experience of Wiltshire police I doubt it.

OP
OP
TwickenhamCyclist
From what I read, it appears the woman quoted in the article just called in after experiencing a similar incident -without video or physical evidence. While I could see you could argue you need a corroborating witness if this just came out of the blue (i.e. you just didn't make it up to get a driver in trouble just because they annoyed you) she said she mentioned the video (or so I thought from the article anyway). Given that, you'd think she should be taken more seriously.

It also begs the question: if you report someone tried to knife/shoot you without other witnesses or physical evidence, would they also not take you seriously until you had a witness? I know it's not the same, but it can't be very often someone says they swerved from the other side of the road. I think if someone reported that to me I'd be inclined to take it very seriously.

And yes, this is definitely an advantage for having a head-cam without a doubt.

Years ago I had a horrible run in with a van driver - he didn't like the fact i was correctly positioned at a roundabout (middle of very narrow right hand lane when turning right) - he tried to run me off the road and then threatened to beat me up when I complained. I remembered the reg etc. and naively went to the police station. I said I had just been physically threatened and a guy had tried to hurt me. Policeman sounded rather concerned, I was pretty shaken and out of breath - and he got out some paperwork and started taking my details. He then asked me exactly what happened and as soon as I mentioned I had been on a bike and the bloke was in a van he stopped, looked a little annoyed and said something like 'well that's just a traffic incident' and handed me a different form 'for the traffic division' and basically told me to foxtrot Oscar.
Its the old adage - walk around with a steel bar and smash someone over the head with it and your done for murder, take the precaution of attaching the steel bar yo your car and...

Top Bottom