'polite' hi viz jackets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Got one. First impressions were that drivers held back, possibly a little uncertain at what was on the back, POLITE as opposed to POLICE.

Main difference being that the one your looking at is stitching, not the same as the POLITE or POLICE vest.

Noodley

It was padbeat who was selling the Polite jackets. He hasn't been around for a while, but you can find his details in "members". Maybe send him a PM and ask if he has any? He spends a great deal of time away from home due to his job (submariner) so you may have to wait a while...

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've found that mine has started a lot of friendly conversations with people when I'm off the bike - mainly they say "oh! I thought that said Police!" (and it's funny, they often say it to me as if I wouldn't have realised unless they mentioned it - like they don't get that it's deliberate or something) Not entirely sure of reaction on the road - there still seem to be a fair few people who pass closely - either they read it and see quickly that it's not 'real', or they just don't care anyway, which is kind of worrying.

It's hard to evaluate for me, my cycle trips are generally quite sort and at various times, so it's been hard to measure any change in behaviour. When someone gives me a good wide berth, it's hard to day whether it's because of the vest - and York drivers, while by no means perfect, are fairly used to higher than average numbers of cyclists on the road.

Bigtallfatbloke

so where do you get one from then?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bigtallfatbloke said:
so where do you get one from then?

I don't know that they exist as such, beyond the ones we few currently own - Padbeat only had 15 or so made up. I would have thought it would be fairly straightforward to get a batch done - I can't remember where he had them done, but it might have been Screwfix, or a building supplies company like that. You supply the logo, they print in colours of choice...

barq

Arch said:
I've found that mine has started a lot of friendly conversations with people when I'm off the bike - mainly they say "oh! I thought that said Police!" (and it's funny, they often say it to me as if I wouldn't have realised unless they mentioned it - like they don't get that it's deliberate or something)

That's hilarious! :evil: I guess they were just being polite.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
This is, I believe, the company Padbeat used. I just got two long-sleeved hi-viz jackets from them.

Didn't quite have the nerve to have POLITE on them, so they just say TRAFFIC on the back. Which is true. I am traffic.

Maz

Guru
This is me in mine. There is a discernible extra berth I get especially on the 70 dual carriageways on my commute. Never had any grief from the real boyzinbloo and I've seen loads of them, including on their bikes. I also notice that big delivery vans etc hang back where they might otherwise try and squeeze past (possibly due to them not paying attention to the road...checking delivery addresses, shuffling paperwork or too busy chatting to their mate to notice the 'misspelling').
Anyway, it works for me, but I only wear it occasionally, otherwise the effect would diminish.

POLITE.jpg

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Phil said:
This is, I believe, the company Padbeat used. I just got two long-sleeved hi-viz jackets from them.

Didn't quite have the nerve to have POLITE on them, so they just say TRAFFIC on the back. Which is true. I am traffic.

I'm not sure whether to be amused or outraged by the blonde bimbos doing their pouty poses in hi-vis vests...

Amused is probably better for the blood pressure:biggrin:. But it's so daft, when you see these models modelling say, steel toe capped boots, and one glance at their nails shows they're never been near a warehouse, let alone a buidling site....

Amanda P

Legendary Member
"Hello, Bloggs model agency, how can I help you?"

"Hello, I'd like to hire a model, please."

"Certainly. Blonde or brunette, sir?"

"Well, I really want a really ugly bloke with dirty fingernails, bruised knuckles, a broken nose and not much hair. Someone who looks like he should be driving a forklift truck after a bad night out in Glasgow."

"I'm sorry, sir, we don't have anyone like that. We can send you a nice pouty blonde..."

"Ah well, if I've got to look at someone through a camera in a succession of yellow jackets, I suppose I could do worse."