Politics in cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When will this petty politics in cycling end? I'm sick of this stupid turf war going on between the so called national cycling organisations. All they are doing is pi**ing off the people at grass roots level who can/do deliver cycling project and events

Aarrgghh!!!!!

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

Rant over.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
You're right. Cycling would benefit enormously without the turf wars.

In Lancaster there's about 8 cycling organisations that hardly have any contact with each other. In fact I would go further than that - some openly despise each other! Outsiders must be really confused about who it is that speaks for cyclists in the UK. I'm sure lots of funding / influence falls through the cracks.

jonesy

Guru
When will this petty politics in cycling end? I'm sick of this stupid turf war going on between the so called national cycling organisations. All they are doing is pi**ing off the people at grass roots level who can/do deliver cycling project and events

Aarrgghh!!!!!

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

Rant over.

Was there anything in particular that prompted this...?

OP
OP
Hilldodger

Hilldodger

Guru
Was there anything in particular that prompted this...?

I have to put up with this crap every week running Cyclemagic but what really got to me was that I've been asked to organise a cycling festival to run alongside Leicester's SkyRide but certain organisation won't come because it's a BC event and I'm not supposed to invite others. Nothing formal just comments in meetings etc.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
In a local turf war here someone is banned from doing any work with them because they do work for another organisation (which is a double standard as others are allowed to). I care for neither party particularly so am neutral in this but I wouldn't ban anybody. I'd love it if the council stood up and said they'll be no more funding unless you can behave yourself - they won't dare.

snorri

Legendary Member
Outsiders must be really confused about who it is that speaks for cyclists in the UK. I'm sure lots of funding / influence falls through the cracks.
Perhaps we should not use the word cycling on its own, but qualify it with another word like racing, utility, leisure, off road, etc etc.. The problem could be caused in part by organisations which claim to represent "cyclists" as if any one organisation could possibly give equal prominence to all of the disciplines within cycling.

OP
OP
Hilldodger

Hilldodger

Guru
Perhaps we should not use the word cycling on its own, but qualify it with another word like racing, utility, leisure, off road, etc etc.. The problem could be caused in part by organisations which claim to represent "cyclists" as if any one organisation could possibly give equal prominence to all of the disciplines within cycling.

Ther problem is that CTC and BC are in a power struggle to represent cycling in the UK and everyone is suffering as a result. And at both organisations there's infighting and disorganisation. I work in cycling but even I don't know who to talk to - in Leicester we have a CTC Cycling Champion, BC Leisure cycling person (I don't even know her job title), Go Ride, Sustrans Bike It and Sustrans Charity, a cycling officer and Bikeability. And that is just ONE layer of management.

Then there's Cyclemagic, Bikes4All, Freewheels and all the clubs for speedway, mountain biking, racing, BMX and leisure cycling.

And then there's SkyRide who are trying (with BC) to shape the futre of cycling to how they see it and quite obviosley trying to put one over the CTC.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
And, of course, there is also the internal politics of cycling.

It appears that the Chairman of CTC has sent an e-mail to all the CTC members in Wales encouraging them to stand for election to Council.

Now, Wales has a very experienced and dedicated Councillor, Peter Brake, who is widely repected by members.

One must ask what has prompted the Chairman's sudden fondness for emailing members..? Could it have anything to do with the fact that Peter opposed the charity plans at the recent AGM?

Not to me, nor to our Member Group Chairman, nor to our RtR Rep - all of whom were associated with the No campaign. It wouldn't be a selective and carefully-targeted email list, perchance?

Davidc

Guru
Interesting....

It appears that a rebadged version of the e-mail has also been sent to members in Scotland - but that it has gone to all the membership.

Add South West England to that. Don't know if it's all the membership though.

Top Bottom