Poll: Small parts business idea - need your weekend ride feedback

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martman

Good morning all
Could you help me with a little survey?

When out on your bike this weekend 8th and 9th of September 2012

Did you have any problems/breakdown with your bike. Yes or No

If Yes
What was the problem ie Puncture, Broken Chain etc.

If puncture were you on the Road or Track.

What county were you in at the time of breakdown.

Were you able to fix it? Yes or No

If No how did you get home?

akb

Veteran
You may get a better response if members knew what the survey was for and what it is your are hoping to do with the results.

Shaun

Founder
Sounds like you're looking for someone in particular who did have a breakdown this weekend?

If that's the case you should give specifics about who, what, where and when and ask a "Was it you?" question in the CC Cafe instead. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
M

Martman

Sounds like you're looking for someone in particular who did have a breakdown this weekend?

If that's the case you should give specifics about who, what, where and when and ask a "Was it you?" question in the CC Cafe instead. :thumbsup:

Shaun

Im looking into seting up a small parts business and I just wanted to get some idea as to whether it would be viable.

MartMan

Shaun

Founder
Shaun

Im looking into seting up a small parts business and I just wanted to get some idea as to whether it would be viable.

MartMan

Ah, okay, well that's an interesting idea. Let me tweak the thread title and pop a poll on it - might make it easier to give/read feedback. :thumbsup:

[Edit: Sorry, can't add a poll - people will just have to advise via reply :thumbsup: ]

OP
OP
M

Martman

What kind of small parts business? Because there are a lot cycle stores on the web like Wiggle, Evans Cycles, Ribble Cycles, Chainreaction cycles, Parker International etc so if you're going to be a small parts business you might struggle to compete.

Thanks for the reply

Verry true but this would be for essential parts only,

Besides would Wiggle deliver to the road side on a Sunday afternoon?

MartMan

Ah, I see ...
  1. Punter suffers mechanical
  2. Punter doesn't have necessary part
  3. Punter gives you a call
  4. You drive out with part
  5. Punter exchanges readies for part
  6. You depart
  7. Punter fixes mechanical & departs
  • What sort of response time are you looking to provide?
  • What is the area you plan to operate in?
  • How much is your call out charge?
You need to balance this with the time/cost taken to call for taxi/S.O. to collect and take punter home.

If I had a mechanical that I couldn't repair or bodge on the roadside with what was readily available either in my kit or the group I am with, my next choice would be to abandon and call my wife for a rescue. The bike would then be fixed at home where I have a larger parts bin, better tools, a roof and no rush as there are other bikes to use while I can wait for the delivery of the part.

I wish you luck, but not sure whether the demand is there for a service like this.

I didn't answer your survey as I didn't ride at the weekend. Howerver I did suffer a mechanical last Thursday that required a visit to the nearest LBS for a part. I needed a new rear wheel, 700c with threads for freewheel. They also kindly removed the cassette from the old wheel for me as I wasn't carrying the necessary tools for the job.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Couple of punctures on son's bike.
First was a classic "snakebite" to the front wheel after going over an obstacle, and while fixing that we noticed rear was a touch soft, pumped it up, but it deflated gradually over next few miles. Pumped it twice more before deciding to replace tube. Slight difficulty getting tyre off rim, as the Park levers I carry and use on my Michelins / Open Pros were struggling with the Rubinos on Chrina rims. Otherwise no big issue. Had all we needed with us, just made for a rather slower than usual 200km.

Top Bottom