Polluting Motorway Speed limit may be cut to 60mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

[QUOTE 2863933, member: 45"]You need to explain what the dangers are and substantiate your fears. At the moment that's all they are.

Bicycles aren't allowed to use motorways.

You're off on a tangent now. Your argument against a 60mph limit is that lorries alongside are scarey. Tailgating trucks have nothing to do with it.

Codswallop. I've driven tiny cars for thousands of miles on motorways. Trucks would be easy to get away from if you wanted to, but there's no need, because there's minimal risk from them. I take it then that you've never used the M25?

Please stop. You're arguing against something by making stuff up. Stuff that isn't even real.[/quote]

You are missing the point...if the speed limits are lowered, and the disparity is removed, then there will be a lot more conflict between large vehicles and small ones.
Additionally, the reason why there is a disparity between weight classes of vehicles is to allow for the greater braking distances required by the bigger ones...you've never towed anything with any weight in it on the motorway ?

Linford

You really are a nervous road user.

No wonder you need that 4x4.

There is another saying...there are old bikers, and there are bold bikers, but you rarely see 'old, bold'bikers.

I'd like to think that my years of experience on very high performance machines have taught me when the level of risk dictates discretion.

Linford

[QUOTE 2863968, member: 45"]I'm not missing anything. Hence the M25 comment, where there's a pretty permanent sub-60 limit in some sections. And drivers aren't at increased risk. Some might be a bit frightened but that's perceived risk and there are alternative routes available for the less competent.

And yup, I've significant experience of towing on motorways.[/quote]

Really ? what were you towing ?

Linford

[QUOTE 2863978, member: 45"]Yes, really.[/quote]

I was asking you to put a bit of meat on to the bones of your claim. What were you towing all these miles, and with what ?

Linford

[QUOTE 2864026, member: 45"]A big thing, with a smaller thing. I don't need to prove to you that I have considerable towing experience.[/quote]

So I can ignore this as bluff and bluster....right...writes Miter Pauls experience moving heavy loads at speed as insignificant!

Linford

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0STTeLaveDLx_B920PqHVmzxhh2gDei66DO0DQjXNyMhO1kTQYg.jpg

How about I come up to Oulton Park in the summer on my bike, you rent out another bike, and we can put that theory to the test ?

Linford

I dont doubt your prowess with your penis extensions Linfy, I do however question its relevance?

Perception of risk...I thought that was in question, and I'm happy to see how much of a 'pussy' we both are on closed roads.

You can of course wimp out at any time if you've not got the bottle to put it to the test ....

Linford

Perception of risk in a car mixing it with lorries having been "slowed" to a 60mph mandatory speed limit.... that was your fear wasnt it?

View attachment 35990

You stated my perception of risk is somehow overblown by my familiarity of using a very high performance vehicle...which kind of states that I'll be too afriad to spin theengine over, let alone take it out of the garage.

The only risk averse person on this thread is MisterP

Linford

It doesn't "kind of state" that at all... You have a very vivid imagination.

Saying that, going to Oulton and spending a bit of time there is only something you would undertake once you have proven that you are competent...neither you not MrP are able to make that claim....not that I'm saying that either of you are incompetent for the record

OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
They could easily cure the tailgating traffic jam creating truck problem.

First set their maximum at 56mph, 2nd restrict any heavy load incapable of maintaining 56mph and all wide loads to driving at night time ( 7pm till 6am).
That would make for a big pollution reduction too.

Last edited:

Linford

Yes challenging someone without a bike license to a motorbike race around a race track is a very brave thing to do, well done, be proud of yourself.

I can do cars as well :whistle:

Stay away from Motorbikes...they are far too 'scary' and 'risky' ;)

Top Bottom