Pollution Masks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VELCRO

Hi

I am looking for a pollution mask and found a WHICH report which poo poos them.

Does anybody out there use them? Do they work? and can you reccommend one.

Ta

Bigtwin

Got a Respro when I commuted in London, despite the poo poo.

Used it for a few days, then rinsed it out in a white bathroom basin - a whole load of crud came out of it.

Don't really care about all that stuff saying that the lungs filter it out anyway, I was happy not to be breathing all that stuff in.

Plus, it cuts down the air flow a bit, so the commute became like resistance training. Flew when I wasn't wearing it.

Bigtwin

They don't filter out the harmful carcinogenics you get in diesel fumes as the particles are too small.

Not if you get the appropriate filter, according to Respro.

I certainly found that I felt a lot better using it - no irritating throat and coughs, especially in summer where London was foul (this was before congestion charging).

Yes you sweat. But I do anyway, and this is well worth the trade.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
There have been several studies of these; the pores are way, way larger than even diesel particulates (which are huge compared to any other pollutants). Don't waste your money.

scaryant

As above re pollution - however if you're going to be riding in heavy traffic in a city centre like London I find they do keep a lot of dirt out of your mouth... I suppose though, just keep it closed! They also provide a little protection in colder months, but I suppose there are other products that will help with that.

I used one for a few months (until I lost it) could be bothered with the expense of replacing it and find cycling without better... easier to breath and I cycle at quite a high rate so that's an important consideration for me.

Bigtwin

No one is claiming that they filter out everything, but the efficiently of filters has come on leaps and bounds in the last decade. There are similarly plenty of studies demonstrating the benefits.

Having worn one for several years around London, there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that they make a difference to the amount of shite you take in, and to the level of irritation of nose, throat and chest one experiences.

The costs of the filters is not great. I would just buy then as and when I found them on sale/reduced. Compared to the general costs of cycling and the savings over using public transport, it was a trifle.

If you do get one, make sure you get the right size for your face to ensure a good fit.

jimboalee

If anyone remembers that bitterly cold winter of 1981 when it was minus 20 in Birmingham, i was cycling from Solihull to work 9 miles in the mornings.

I put my hands on a 'poppet valve' respirator. Inlet side had a length of light plastic tube which wrapped round my torso beneath my jacket. Up the tube was sponge.

Not only did the apparatus warm the air I was inhaling, it filtered it as it passed through the sponge.

BTW, the sponge came out of a Yamaha YZ 250 motorcross bike air filter.

After a week's commuting, the sponge was filthy.

Even so, I stopped wearing the filter/warmer arrangement when the weather warmed up.

I rode Scramble motorcycle for a couple of years and must have breathed in a couple of pounds of two stroke exhaust smoke laden dust.

Top Bottom