Polyphasic Sleeping.........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
....Have any of you tried it or know someone who tried it??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep
It sounds amazing but i guess it would be torturous to try it............

I look forward to your report on its benefits and drawbacks after your trial of it.

If you've ever been on a long sailing trip - where you get 4 hours sleep, 4 hours on deck, 4 hours rest (with potential to go on deck if problems occur) or even 3, 3, 3 or 2 ,2, 2 depending on weather and number of crew, you adopt Polyphasic sleeping.
You very quickly get very tired and learn why they use sleep deprivation as a torture - I cannot see an advantage.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Yes. I have and have known several people who have. I've done what it calls the 'everyman' there before for on early mornings and then revert back to my usual sleep pattern of about 4.5hours. Some other times I get more than this.

The stereotypical Monophasic sleep pattern is a myth as far as I'm concerned.

If you want a very light hearted look at it there is http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783

RaRa

I have done this for a period of 6 months as part of an IT systems support team. It is do-able but I spent most of the time suffering from extreme tiredness and felt pretty rough. It also left me with insomnia which 10 years later I still have occassional troubles with.

marinyork

You very quickly get very tired and learn why they use sleep deprivation as a torture - I cannot see an advantage.

Depends how you're built. Not so much advantage. It might sound complete crackpottery to some here, but there's a small percentage of the population that can get by on a very small amount of sleep of less than 2hrs and certainly survive on the ubermann. I'm not quite that bad, but I can easily survive on some of the other 'cycles' it lists there. Pretty much tried all of those or variants over the years. For some people it'd work ish but with tiredness, for others it would not work at all.

And being on a boat or a watch, it would be an advantage in some senses.

marinyork

One o' them being +21hours wakey wakey time:becool:

It depends. We come from a culture with a taboo talking about sleep. A lot of people who have sleeping 'problems' are not necessarily happy people their whole lives before they come to terms with it. They think there is something wrong with them, they think they are freaks. They expect certain sleeping patterns and are very unhappy if their body decides otherwise :sad:. Some people that do stuff throughout the night, it can be a very, very lonely places for people. It's a very odd world.

Don't suppose it helps much these days that we have a lot of adverts on tv talking about aids for sleeping and mattresses. It gives people the impression that people should get exactly 8hrs sleep and wake up so called 'refreshed' and be bright and bouncy. Reality is very different from this.

I've no idea whether moving away from monophasic to perhaps 3/4.5 hr sleeps or the more extreme ones would suit you though. But good luck if you want to try it.

ushills

Veteran
I'm knackered if I get less than 8 hours a day, I can manage 6 hours for a night or two max then it creeps up on me and I walk around in a daze and at weekends often have a catch-up 4-5 hours during the day.

A nasty accident on some stairs (before my bike crash) affected my sleep patterns significantly, prior to this I used to stay up late etc, but found myself having to sleep during the day etc for quite a while. I can get up early but the effects of a late night are just too much.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I'm currently going through a polyphasic sleep phase. It happens every year when I come back from a cycle tour abroad. Typically I am up for an hour at 02:00, and 04:30 and my dreams are populated with scenes from places that I have visited. It also means that I feel tired in the morning and need another sleep sometime in the afternoon/early evening. I usually manage to abandon polyphasic sleep in around three days but this year it is taking a bit longer. There's no sign of it going yet...

buddha

Veteran
Polyphasic sleep?
Just go read a few posts in the "Current Affairs & Debates" (ex P&L) forum ... then wake up ... and repeat ...

Top Bottom