Pompino wheels - any good

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
Anybody out there have a view about the Pompino wheels with flip flop hubs. I was thinking of buying a pair (about £100) but I though I'd ask here first
Thanks Bob

GrahamG

Guru
They're like the frame i.e. nice and solid, copes with a multitude of applications (rims can accommodate pretty big tyres or just 25's on) but not exactly lightweight. They are probably worth going over with a spoke key to check tension.
Hubs are standard Ambrosio style re-branded, I've had a couple of years use out of my rear on-one hub and have yet to need bearings replacing etc.

MichaelM

Guru
I didn't think much of them. The bearings are open to the elements and wear quickly. I gave the hubs away to someone off here in the end. I now use a Goldtech rear fixed hub.

yello

3,000 mile on mine in all manner of crappy weather (I use it as a winter trainer) and can't say I've had any problems. Maybe they're heavier than needs be, can't say that I notice... but I've probably just put the kiss of death on it.

Andy Pandy

They are good for the money. I replaced my rear wheel (after standing on the rim) with a miche hub on open pros. Better wheel than the on-one but costs more. While Goldtech are better than the stock on-one hubs, a set will cost you about £150. You pay your money....

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Thanks all, sorry for the lack of respose till now, PC probs. Think I'll order a set. BTW A friend of mine just got a new Pomp, the brakes are crap. He put mini V's on, I was very impressed.

yello

bobg said:
A friend of mine just got a new Pomp, the brakes are crap.

They're not the best, it has to be said. I replaced the front with Tektro Onyx and that improved things. Some will tell you that you don't need brakes on a fixed ;)

Top Bottom