Pondering SS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

croyde

I have just picked up my first ss/fixed bike only this morning. It's a Specialized Langster and I rode it from Wandsworth to Richmond Park, once round and then back home again, about 15 miles and it was great. I even got it up the hill in the park starting at Robin Hood Gate. I was virtually stationary near the top and it took a couple of miles for my heart beat to return to normal but I did it on a ss and passed a couple of the lycra boys on their multi gears.

If you are only commuting a couple of miles in London I'd say it's a no brainer, go for it. Lighter than my Giant M1 and hardly any maintenance.

I got a half hour test ride out of my local Evans and they always seem happy to let you try whatever they have in store.

I was going to get a Specialized Allez Elite but since most of my rides are in London and the Langster was half the price, I decided to save some money plus I will swap the rear wheel over and see what this Fixie thing is all about.

Get down your local store and ask or if you are near contact me and I'll be happy to let you have a go.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
DO IT !!!!! Buying a SS/Fixed has made me enjoy cycling a lot more and it is easy to hit hills without to much fuss.I'm a convert,best thing i have bought for a long time !

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
In all the time I've been hanging around forums like this (and that's a *long* time) I can remember only two posters who tried fixed/SS, didn't like it and went back. As against countless enthusiasts, anywhere on a spectrum from 'I prefer it' to 'I am a GOD on my fixie!' Personally I'm somewhere in the middle. I have (and rode for years) a very good geared bike, but since going fixed a year or so ago, I think I've only ridden it about two or three times. And I can honestly say I can't remember a ride on my fixie I haven't enjoyed. 

Top Bottom