Poole/Dorset - What's it like?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hello, here is another legendary once in a blue moon post from me!

Getting a heads up from forummers in Poole, what's it like in terms of culture/things going on/affordability/rents and more importantly, what's the terrain like? Is it ridiculously hilly?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Went there on holiday a couple of years ago, it rained so much the town centre flooded, we came home early.

50000tears

I live about 35 miles down the road. Nothing too hilly around Poole but not cycled round there so only speaking as a driver. Can't advise about costs culture etc but there will be more going on there than where I live as it dies a death here in the winter months.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
It's a lovely part of the world with stunning coastline and countryside in easy reach. I'd imagine there could be some challenging hills here & there...

pplpilot

Guru
splendid area, Housing is very reasonable. Sandbanks being particularly nice and affordable - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/Sandbanks.html

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
You jokers- I'm not likely to be buying, that's way off my radar!

There's a job there that I'm considering but moving from London to Poole might be a challenge, but some of the reasons I have for being in the capital are fast dwindling.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Poole is excellent. The amazing Jurrasic coast, New Forest and Bournemouth beach right on your doorstep. Rental wise you would probably find that Bournemouth is cheaper than Poole.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Poole is excellent. The amazing Jurrasic coast, New Forest and Bournemouth beach right on your doorstep. Rental wise you would probably find that Bournemouth is cheaper than Poole.
How realistic is it to cycle from Bournemouth to Poole- job would be in centre of town?
To be fair, looking at rent's they're miles cheaper than in the smoke but annoyingly it's one of those jobs with undisclosed salary.

Berties

Fast and careful!
I love Poole my first property was on the baiter development in the late 80s,great cycling I quite often do recovery rides from henglsbury head to Poole all flat ,well a little hill mid way,jump on the chain ferry and face the hills of the purbecks via swanage or east to the new Forrest ,rental properties will get cheaper the more you distance between you and the sea,we have a family house in swanage prices are lower and get more for money

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I have family in Wallisdown area which is 6.5 miles from Poole central so easily doable. If you were to look that side of of Bournemouth also such as Newtown / Upper Parkstone / Kinson then all in easy reach.

Top Bottom