Poole/Dorset - What's it like?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I would add that if I was able to get a job in my industry that pays the same as my current then I would move back to that area in a shot.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I would add that if I was able to get a job in my industry that pays the same as my current then I would move back to that area in a shot.
Oh wow, OK. That's quite something, I was under the impression that it was retirement area for the well-to-do. I do love a city though and all the hustle and bustle, would I miss that?

inkd

Cant really say too much about Poole cause the only reason I go down is for a night out at the dogs with my dad and brothers as its half way between me and Yeovil, But my mrs loves shopping there and not far from Bournemouth.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I just spent a few days cycling down there and in the New Forest, TT. Loved it and Dorset is a really nice, under-rated county. The Jurassic coast is terrific, as has been said.
I did the Poole marathon once but I can't vouch for it or Bournemouth as places to live.

Nice cycling there and you can pop over the ferry to Studland and cycle around to Swanage. Only downside is it seems to be busy roads with not much in the way of back lanes.

Inland the New Forest is in easy reach with lots of routes there.

Pool itself is a bit of a nothing place and a bit of an out of town satellite of Bournemouth (apologies if I upset any Poolites). Prices and rents inflated by lots of demand for holiday homes.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
splendid area, Housing is very reasonable. Sandbanks being particularly nice and affordable - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/Sandbanks.html

I ride around Sandbanks all the time, it's lovely but I'd prefer Branksome Park to buy a luxury house. My area is not a bad place to live either and a lot more affordable.

There aren't big hills in Poole. Poole Town itself is not very nice IMO and there are some rough areas a few miles from Poole too. So not all is expensive.

House price will depend on the area, like in any city. Sandbanks would command a few millions for a flat while in other areas under £200,000 would probably buy you a 3 bedrooms house.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Went there on holiday a couple of years ago, it rained so much the town centre flooded, we came home early.
Was that swimming Poole?

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Can you go and spend a couple of days there just mooching about? Stay in a B&B? You get a reasonable feel for a place quite quickly I've found.

May well do that if I get an interview, nothing's definite really but thankfully this isn't a long, ridiculous application process like the last one. Thinking whether the job has real chances of developing the skills I need for progression in my fields and I'm not so sure it's a yes on all levels.

Top Bottom