Poor man's MSR Hubba Hubba tent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Polite

Über Member
I've just treated myself to this https://www.decathlon.co.uk/quickhiker-ultralight-2-hiking-tent-2-man-grey-id_8245650.html because my old tent had seen better days. I haven't tried it out yet, which I will be doing but in the meantime....

As the title suggests it has some similarities to the MSR Hubba Hubba but I doubt it's as well made. In fact looking back at it, a strong fa*t looks like it might blow it over though a lot of its reviews suggest otherwise and I've used other Décathlon products before and always rated them.

Has anyone else got one of these, or used one - Any (sensible)! comments?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

andym

Über Member
Decathlon have massive buying power and IME their stuff is well made and good quality. The difference between this and a top-of-the-range tent is the weight. For this style of tent the lightest models come in at around a kilo - so half the weight but at least twice the price.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Polite

Polite

Über Member
Decathlon have massive buying power and IME their stuff is well made and good-quality. The difference between this and a top-of-the-range tent is the weight. For this style of tent the lightest models come in at around a kilo - so half the weight but at least twice the price.
MSR Hubba Hubba NX - Packed Weight: - 3lbs 7oz / 1.72kg. Price approx £350
Décathlon Ultralight. Packed Weight: - /. 1.96kg. Price £101

andym

Über Member
What Rua said.

The Hubba Hubba is a free-standing dome tent. The tent you've linked to is a hoop tent that isn't free-standing. Have a look at the pictures of the two tents and you'll see how different they are. You're not comparing like with like.

The design used in the Decathlon tent has been around for years and is very well proven. Pitch it properly and it's not going to blow away.

Last edited:
Top Bottom