Poor road surface condition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wbmkk

Veteran
Hi

I've recently started cycling again after many many years on non-activity (cycle-wise)

Is it me, or have the roads got into a shocking condition

Potholes, trenches all seem to be either left unrepaired, or just repaired very badly.

tarmac roads over concrete have holes all over the place

What's going on ??

No wonder people cylce on the footpaths; at least there, the surface is quite smooth.

Happy Christmast to All

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes it seems to be a country wide problem and is getting worse. They would rather cover with temporary fill these days then resurface.

wafflycat

Whey bonnie laad, them roads is aal the same all ower the place, like.

Speaking of which, is the causeway over to St Mary's still there and open to the public? Spent many a happy hour there as a child, investigating rock pools..

OP
OP
wbmkk

wbmkk

Veteran
Wafflycat

Yep, the Lighthouse is still the same as all those years ago, but of course the light no longer flashes.

I went to the top a couple of years ago with my elderly father. You can pay 50p and get a certificate at the top, so I did this for him.

The chappie even signed it and added 'aged 80' to my dad's name. I stuck the certificate in a frame and he was as 'pleased as punch'

See link below

http://www.friendsofstmarysisland.co.uk/welcome.htm

chap

Veteran
wbmkk said:
Hi

I've recently started cycling again after many many years on non-activity (cycle-wise)

Is it me, or have the roads got into a shocking condition

Potholes, trenches all seem to be either left unrepaired, or just repaired very badly.

tarmac roads over concrete have holes all over the place

What's going on ??

No wonder people cylce on the footpaths; at least there, the surface is quite smooth.

Happy Christmast to All

I would think this affects pedestrians too. When I was in Basingstoke (during the freak-snow storm), the only parts gritted were the roads. The buses (Stagebcoach) were late, and some people assumed it had been cancelled. Because the pavement was slippery (no grit), an old lady had no option than to wait for this bus to manifest, or presumably stay at home (unless the taxi was an option.)

To add insult to injury, the Stagecoach bus fee is about £2.30 for what is a 1.5 mile journey (now try and justify public transportation in this instance when even a Hummer (12mpg) can do 2.64 miles to the litre). It's a good thing the over 60's have free public transport.

Upon arriving at the main shopping centre, I noticed that the train station (again on a hill) only had grit applied to the roads (for taxis to drop off people, and for those with paid parking spaces round the back to park), the stairs and the pavements were beneath sheets of snow and ice.

My understanding is that our bus service is very poor, it has a lax service, selective times of operation and does not cover certain areas, this according to a certain taxi driver is why they get lots of calls in the early hours of the morning and at night, for people doing shift work.

Therefore my point is that taking the above into account, if the pavements are not gritted, and only select busy roads are, then apart from the car / taxi, what are the workable alternatives?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Commenting about the state of the roads in the winter? Potholes tend to grow quite substantially in the winter and cracks widen for fairly obvious reasons. Weathering and wear and tear really do add up.

Chap, not sure I agree about the pavements, does Basingstoke have grit bins or not? The poorer members of society are certainly shafted by bus operators though.

chap

Veteran
marinyork said:
Commenting about the state of the roads in the winter? Potholes tend to grow quite substantially in the winter and cracks widen for fairly obvious reasons. Weathering and wear and tear really do add up.

Chap, not sure I agree about the pavements, does Basingstoke have grit bins or not? The poorer members of society are certainly shafted by bus operators though.

I do not recall seeing any, although admittedly I was just there on business, so only caught a somewhat targeted experience of the whole affair over the space of a few months.

Top Bottom