Active travel - always a poor second...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
A year ago, press coverage about the proposed upgrade of a road between two local towns. Great plan, taking away some notorious "bad bends", and a segregated Active Travel path alongside for cyclists and walkers. Funding secured. Planning underway. All good.

And now - since prices have gone up, "the active travel infrastructure and associated earthworks along the route would be removed and delivered through alternative funding sources at a future date."

https://www.ardrossanherald.com/news/23755454.ayrshire-b714-saltcoats-dalry-upgrades-rising-cost/

Slick

Guru
Yeah, definitely looks like code for, sorry mate, we've ran out of cash and can no longer afford a bike lane. :banghead:

Drago

Legendary Member
I walk Mini D to school and have to cross a busy road with her, and even being only 12 years old hasn't stopped her from figuring out for herself that human beings are an afterthought, poorly treated second class citizens that have to yield and make way for the planets primary life form, the wheeled metal box.

Slick

Guru
Funny how it's never "We're running out of cash so we'll build the bike lane first and add the road later".

I've got one that stops almost outside my house and goes absolutely nowhere because of the same reasons posted above.

Somehow, they have never managed to find the money to complete it, but they have managed to hold lots of different meetings about it for years that have achieved absolutely hee haw.

Just the way councils and councillors roll I suppose.

Drago

Legendary Member
They always find money to cover their own expenses, and other frivolous rubbish such as "fact finding" visits to other countries, or sufficient money for contractors to take a profit to pay their shareholders by running the highways or refuse contracts.

I shan't venture further down that road for obvious reasons, but I'm sure you share my ire at the way there is always money for sheet but never for something important, something healthy, congestion busting, and environmentally sound, something like active travel.

Top Bottom