Active Neighbourhoods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What's your views on these ?

I can see the benefits where it's correctly planned out but....

Went to visit my brother last night to drop a present off for his birthday. I ended up abandoning the car outside someone's house a street away. U-turned twice to find a way to his house, no chance.

Poor sod's only just moved into this house, nothing showed up on plans/searches, then poof, and the surrounding roads have all been blocked off with concrete lumps (the stuff you see on motorways). The two possible ways I could get to his house were blocked. The only other way was to drive half a mile into a village centre then to come back from the other side. The scheme has made their road a rat run now from the estate. I can't see the problem, as there are large speed bumps that can't be taken quickly. In the 5 minutes I was there saw a number of cars having to u-turn in tight places, and I believe even the ambulance crews have issues.

Apparently this scheme cost £300k, and looks a right mess. Now I believe the local cycling advocate (aka a nobber) thinks it's brilliant. As a cyclist, I'd happily tell him nobody uses those routes they have blocked off for commuting - the main road is actually wide and OK and more direct.

Total waste of £300k. I've still not a clue how to get to his house though !

Without you showing us a map, we can only guess.

But in general, very well planned LTNs receive a bunch of whingeing - just like what you've posted - from drivers. In some cases, drivers 1,000 miles away sign the petitions against them. The criticisms rarely turn out to be true:
" I believe even the ambulance crews have issues. " yeah, ok. Drivers complain about this in most LTNs. In reality, the emergency services say that they don't have problems; in some cases they benefit from reduced congestion (remember, they don't just drive 0.5miles to each emergency!), and their data shows that most delays are due to illegal parking and congestion.

So, as you asked, THAT is my view on LTNs :smile:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Wish we had one here to stop the traffic jams at school pick-up & drop-off times. Though it would spoil the fun of watching the idiots facing each other with nowhere to go :laugh:

One of a number of problems in the design of these things relates to the short sighted nature of those initiating them, as they rarely take account of the consequences created by drivers circulating to other routes.

This is compounded as there is rarely a joined up, strategic approach encouraging and facilitating other modes of transport in a meaningful way, and that includes a lack of wider community education and engagement.

Too often it's just a diktat supported by evangelistic preaching.

Drago

Legendary Member
Too often it's just a diktat supported by evangelistic preaching.
Im afraid thats what it takes. No matter how juicy the incentive, or how lame the excuses about alternative means of transport, the lazy-ass majority still wont ditch the cars.

If they want tomdomit they will. Most don't want to, so have to be forced into measures like this. The great British public have only themselves to vlame.

Im afraid thats what it takes. No matter how juicy the incentive, or how lame the excuses about alternative means of transport, the lazy-ass majority still wont ditch the cars.

If they want tomdomit they will. Most don't want to, so have to be forced into measures like this. The great British public have only themselves to vlame.

The history of successful projects disagree with you.

One of a number of problems in the design of these things relates to the short sighted nature of those initiating them, as they rarely take account of the consequences created by drivers circulating to other routes.
Do you have an example? I haven't seen this to be the case. There are usually planners involved, and there is plenty of real-world experience of this stuff gained in other western countries to base plans on.
But perhaps you disagree; in which case note that these things are almost always TRIALS. No-one is ripping up your favourite road.
(This is why you see so many decorative planters instead of concrete - which many idiots then choose to vandalise, often with engine oil, or just shove out of the way with their SUVs. Perhaps concrete backed up by diktat would work better ... )

Top Bottom