Active Neighbourhoods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do you have an example? I haven't seen this to be the case. There are usually planners involved, and there is plenty of real-world experience of this stuff gained in other western countries to base plans on.
But perhaps you disagree; in which case note that these things are almost always TRIALS. No-one is ripping up your favourite road.
(This is why you see so many decorative planters instead of concrete - which many idiots then choose to vandalise, often with engine oil, or just shove out of the way with their SUVs. Perhaps concrete backed up by diktat would work better ... )

There are several local examples going back over a number of years. 'Planners' is a broad term, and they differ in remit and ability depending which area they are working in. What's lacking are decent strategic planners at a national level, as well as a local level, and they need to engage with experts in other areas of study too, as these things work better when they're not just done in isolation.

Preaching has been shown time and again to be a poor method, and should always be accompanied by clear explanations and community involvement.

The history of traffic reduction projects supports it. Drivers don't want to change, but many appreciate the changes after they sink in, and everyone that DIDNT drive (or wanted to avoid driving) laps it up.

You're clearly set in your opinion, so I'll leave you to it. I just offered my view from a lot of experience. I'll leave it to you to take it as you wish. :hello:

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have a map at last of the 'scheme'.

My line of travel was on Manchester Road (roughly where No1 is). Turned off the main road at Halesden Road and got stuck at Number 3). My Brother is on Brookfold Road just right of the No3.

I then turned round to try and go via the road that runs parallel but was stopped at No2, couldn't go back to main road as No1 is one way, nor down towards Broadstone Road as No5 stops that.

In future, I'll have to either carry on down Manchester Road and turn right at a busy junction onto Broadstone Road, or head into Reddish, and cut through to the west of this map (Broadstone Hall Road).

Main commuting routes for cyclists are actually Manchester Road and maybe Broadstone Road.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

My line of travel was on Manchester Road (roughly where No1 is). Turned off the main road at Halesden Road and got stuck at Number 3). My Brother is on Brookfold Road just right of the No3.

I then turned round to try and go via the road that runs parallel but was stopped at No2, couldn't go back to main road as No1 is one way, nor down towards Broadstone Road as No5 stops that.

In future, I'll have to either carry on down Manchester Road and turn right at a busy junction onto Broadstone Road, or head into Reddish, and cut through to the west of this map (Broadstone Hall Road).

Main commuting routes for cyclists are actually Manchester Road and maybe Broadstone Road.

View attachment 613569

Only reason you had a problem is that your sat nav failed to take you the right way. If it encouraged you to walk some of the journey then that is good.

presta

Guru
Most new residential streets are built as cul-de-sacs, I don't see why most older ones can't be converted.
The neighbourhood where I live has grown in three stages:
1: pre 1960, all through-roads
2: ~1970, one arterial through-road with cul-de-sacs sprouting off it
3: ~2000, the whole lot is one big cul-de-sac
Fortunately the area is alongside one main road rather than bridging a gap between two or more main roads, so it doesn't really provide an opportunity for rat running.

boydj

Legendary Member
No house in a LTN will be inaccessible by car, so there will be a roundabout route to the house you want to visit - you just need to learn that.

The key advantage of these LTNs is to prevent speeding, rat-running drivers cutting through a neighbourhood, as well as encouraging people within that neighbourhood to use active travel for short journeys.

View attachment 613569
Wow, now I appreciate the issue.

It has become a maze. You need local knowledge to begin with for any first attempt. To honest I cannot imagine emergency responders finding their way on the first or even the second try if they enter point 1. And GPS will not help.

Clearly it will be quiet for the residents but visitors, delivery and trade drivers will have a challenge.

At the end of the day, its their neighbourhood and if they are prepared to live with it I am not sure what we can do. Personally I don't think it shows any form of professional planning, just residents inputs.

united4ever

Über Member
About them not coming up in the searches when he bought the house. I believe they are experimental traffic orders so do not require traffic order with consultation. At the end of the experimental period they can make a permanent traffic order.

The ones in Levenshulme have been made permanent with only minor changes. This makes you think that others in Manchester will also become permanent.

Top Bottom