Active Neighbourhoods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No more of a problem than in 90% of modern estates. People find their way around. The only dangerous roads round here are the arteries (which fortunately don't have houses on them)
No issues if there are no emergencies.

Roads and streets in the neighbourhood were originally designed to navigate intuitively. So there is a disconnect when you superimpose something like this and it becomes a round peg in a square hole. GPS won't help an ambulance or a fire truck.

I am sure home buyers will discount a house that is harder to reach by vehicle to a house in the same neighbourhood with better access.

DRM

Guru
This is all well and and good until either an ambulance or fire appliance can’t get through and some poor soul loses their life, as for parking, it just moves it from one area to another, making it someone else’s problem, exactly as happened in Nottingham, parking at work was banned, so all the outlying areas became a car park, where people then caught the bus, places like West Bridgford where my daughters student accommodation was drove the residents nuts having driveways blocked and loss of access when they got home, why don’t they put more buses on, make them cheaper and get people to use them because it’s cheaper than taking a car? Round here the buses don’t even go to the industrial estates, it was that bad on junction 41 industrial estate in Wakefield that cars were preventing HGV’s getting through to deliver/ collect when one unit was taken over, the culprits.....West Yorkshire Police

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Roads and streets in the neighbourhood were originally designed to navigate intuitively.
It used to be that they grew organically. Now it is that they are placed to get the most houses in the development. So I think they never prioritised intuitive navigation except for a few model towns like Milton Keynes and the navigation there basically stops when you enter a grid square.

So there is a disconnect when you superimpose something like this and it becomes a round peg in a square hole. GPS won't help an ambulance or a fire truck.
Why not? Do the sirens block satellite signals?

I am sure home buyers will discount a house that is harder to reach by vehicle to a house in the same neighbourhood with better access.
Really? I expect they'll prefer the ones deeper into the neighbourhood with less passing traffic.

classic33

Leg End Member
It used to be that they grew organically. Now it is that they are placed to get the most houses in the development. So I think they never prioritised intuitive navigation except for a few model towns like Milton Keynes and the navigation there basically stops when you enter a grid square.

No, in the same way that open car windows don't block GPS signals, but the drivers and crews still have to find a way through.

Really? I expect they'll prefer the ones deeper into the neighbourhood with less passing traffic.
It'd only take one incident before people deeper in the neighbourhood, with less traffic, started to rethink their situation. Especially if they were involved.

mjr

It'd only take one incident before people deeper in the neighbourhood, with less traffic, started to rethink their situation. Especially if they were involved.
Why? The emergency vehicle will probably reach them more quickly due to the lower traffic levels and some of the barriers being passable by some emergency vehicles.

That is probably why most ambulance trusts back them and health charities have paid for some https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlto...hoods-not-delaying-ambulances-say-nhs-trusts/

classic33

Leg End Member
Why? The emergency vehicle will probably reach them more quickly due to the lower traffic levels and some of the barriers being passable by some emergency vehicles.

That is probably why most ambulance trusts back them and health charities have paid for some https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlto...hoods-not-delaying-ambulances-say-nhs-trusts/
Where do the vehicles that would usually park up within such an area, park up once the barriers are in place? The quieter, traffic free streets, come at a price. A notorious estate* built with such a system in place, was easier demolish than rectify the problem. Emergency vehicles had problems getting to some of the addresses.

You've also to bear in mind that such crews are not always local anymore.

*It became notorious for vehicle access problems, even with up to date street maps.

Responders will be delayed as GPS would not work. Try it in an active neighbourhood. What has siren's got do with anything?

Houses in deeper neighbourhoods, cul de sac and end of the road terrace and houses always carry a higher value because of less traffic. Thats a given. But the road access is not impacted unlike active neighbourhood. I hope you can tell the difference.

Once an potential buyer does an inspection they will realise access maybe an issue. Home owners after work are looking to reach their home faster and conveniently and would not prefer a maze drive. If i can get a quieter home without the maze, I will buy it over a maze house.

DRM

Guru
Where do the vehicles that would usually park up within such an area, park up once the barriers are in place? The quieter, traffic free streets, come at a price. A notorious estate* built with such a system in place, was easier demolish than rectify the problem. Emergency vehicles had problems getting to some of the addresses.

*It became notorious for vehicle access problems, even with up to date street maps.
You get a lot of this in Bradford, residential streets with terraced houses that have been blocked with bollards and deep kerbs that prevent anything getting through, yet the sat nav still tries to send you along the street as it doesn’t know it’s blocked, all done because of the idiotic driving that goes on as showcased on the police interceptor series, as you say many police officers, fire & ambulance crews don’t live there anymore and commute in themselves

mjr

Where do the vehicles that would usually park up within such an area, park up once the barriers are in place?
Where they used to, pretty much. The barriers take up less than a space each.

The quieter, traffic free streets, come at a price. A notorious estate* built with such a system in place, was easier demolish than rectify the problem. Emergency vehicles had problems getting to some of the addresses.

Some of the estates built with no through routes are far worse than Active Neighbourhoods, with not only emergency vehicles unable to pass through, but also walkers and cyclists. Ironically, one of the loudest voices against filtered through routes in planning applications has been the Police, who seem to think burglars are carrying 50" tellys away by bike.

mjr

Responders will be delayed as GPS would not work. Try it in an active neighbourhood. What has siren's got do with anything?
Sirens was just me trying to guess why GPS wouldn't work for emergency vehicles. I have tried it in active neighbourhoods. It works fine, as long as your map is current. Why wouldn't it?

Once an potential buyer does an inspection they will realise access maybe an issue. Home owners after work are looking to reach their home faster and conveniently and would not prefer a maze drive. If i can get a quieter home without the maze, I will buy it over a maze house.
If you think the map posted above is a maze, you must have visited some shoot mazes!

Top Bottom