A638 Dewsbury - Cleckheaton Sustainable Travel Corridor (Spen Valley Greenway)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's took a while (the original consultation was nearly a year ago) but work is finally agreed to start later this year.

The Spen Valley Greenway improvements are what I'm looking forward to most, widening, resurfacing and lighting. Its a popular route and though it's a shame the improvements aren't along its full length (to be fair the northern part is much quieter) these will be the biggest improvements I've seen on it for about 10 years.

Full details on all the plan here.
Yorkshire Live News

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The greenways in this area are pretty good imo, although some re-surfacing is now needed. I'll be on this one shortly ...

Lighting will help, along with widening in places. The on-road provision across north Kirklees is pretty diabolical but the greenways do partly help, as long as you're travelling that way.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
Its probably my favourite local ride to go up and down the full length, though that surface has got really bad in places where the tree roots get under the tarmac so glad its being sorted.

You're right about the on road provision though, I hardly cycle on the roads around here and stick to trying to link the greenway routes together.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
Took a while.... Spen Valley Greenway improvement work to begin in early 2024

I didnt see this story but the signs have gone up (bottom). In the Sustrans link they lay out the plans which are to widen and resurface the path, and to improve access for none standard bicycles/buggies at some entry points. Its not the whole route (yet?) but is a good start.

3 months out of action is a pain though. Theres no easy diversion, either a slog through Wyke and Scholes or a busy ride on Bradford and Cleckheaton roads. Hopefully it'll be worth it!

IMG-20240128-113550-834.jpg

Top Bottom