Active Neighbourhoods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was of the opinion that emergency services were aware of traffic orders, and would,know access ability and restriction before any event requiring their attendance.
With blues and twos, their rate of access wouldn’t likely be hindered much diverting around ‘the blocks’ to the correct location on the 1st occasion. (I.e. not driving along one road, only to find it was blocked and further progress impossible).
I believe they walk the LTN to assure themselves that access was sufficient for all properties.
Some time last year there was a programme on the telly where an ambulance was trying to get to an emergency
There was a change to the area - possibly an LTN or one of those pop up cycle lanes

teh controllers were fully aware and directed the crew around to the new route
so they do have up-to-date information about changes - and road works etc

This,of course, presumes that everyone is properly organised and does all the admin - which may be a stretch at times!!!

On a more historic note, a friend from school moved to Sheffield after he left University - that would be about 1981. At the time I think they had a very left wing council - lots of 'interesting' article in the Daily Mail about them!
Anyway, he came home one weekend to see his Mum and we went out for a drink. According to him the council had closed all routes from the ring road into the city except one - the others were open only to buses (maybe taxis - dunno).
They also set up a series of car parks with frequent bus services into the city centre - running from very early to very late.
It causes a storm of protest - but he said that he found it wonderful - just drive to the nearest car park, park and in 1 few minutes a bus arrives. And it was a nice bus - not some grotty think with plastic seats and a ride quality that F1 would think was a bit harsh!
The bus took him into the centre and dropped him near work.
Even if he was stuck on the office late - the buses were still running

Naturally they got voted out and it was all dismantled - at which point the roads went back to the nice familiar gridlock with everyone sitting in their boxes burning petrol.

Anyway - the point is (finally!!!) well planned changes can work very well - not all are well planned - some you wonder if the word 'planed' was in any part of the process.
Certainly the pop-up cycle lanes round here (when the government offered to lob money at areas that make some) were rather weird and totally useless!!
Which is weird because the actualy cycle lanes are often quite good!!

sheddy

Legendary Member

CreakyGran

Why on earth would someone object to you parking in a road round the corner? Here is the news: car owners do NOT own the bit of road outside their house.
And I'm livid the Birchington Margste cycle path scheme has been ditched. Of COURSE to thirds of responders to ghe consultation objected. They are all car buncles. Has snyone consulted the kids from the several schools along the route? I have. They are always surprised someone wants to know eat they think, believing I'm stopping them to complain about them riding on the pavements (the only safe way given the ferocity of the petrolheads' driving. (I do drive by the way).

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Why on earth would someone object to you parking in a road round the corner? Here is the news: car owners do NOT own the bit of road outside their house.
And I'm livid the Birchington Margste cycle path scheme has been ditched. Of COURSE to thirds of responders to ghe consultation objected. They are all car buncles. Has snyone consulted the kids from the several schools along the route? I have. They are always surprised someone wants to know eat they think, believing I'm stopping them to complain about them riding on the pavements (the only safe way given the ferocity of the petrolheads' driving. (I do drive by the way).

New member alert - hello.

There are many people who think they own the road outside their homes, sadly. Take any terraced street and the parking 'issues'.

Top Bottom