Poor stability on New Bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@Colin S - as long as the frame and wheels are straight it'll take a while to get used to. Zed wheels are decent from experience.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Thanks for all the replies
Wheels are ZED 45s and geometry is the same as my other bike.

Whilst it may seem that the geometry is the same; there are subtle differences, a 5mm difference in fork rake, 0.5 degrees difference in seat tube and head tube angle, 3mm difference in bottom bracket height, 0.6mm difference in stack, 7mm difference in wheel base etc.

It might not seem like much, but small changes in geometry can make a bike feel and handle different, sometimes just from how they shift the centre of gravity of you and the bike.

You could try swapping in some non aero wheels, to see how much of what you are feeling is that, and how much is the rest of the bike.

Last edited:
My old bike is a Vitus Vitesse and new bike is Ican (Triaero) A9

C

They look nice bikes. The vitus models Ive looked at have 30-46mm rims so I doubt its the wheels if your new wheels are 45's. The vitus has a slightly longer wheel base (same size for size; if youve not got the same size it could be slightly more again) which might make it slightly more stable and maybe the ican's forks present more of a surface area to a side wind but you'll get use to that and any other small geometry differences. At a guess its maybe psychological; you got caught out with an awkward wind which would have had the same / similar effect on the old bike but because it was on the new bike you are associating it with that, and once you have that in your head you can start to feel nervous about everything.

Top Bottom