Pop Hodge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My great great uncle. Dads great uncle on his dad's side

1938 A. J. HODGE TANDEM
Albert J. (Pop) Hodge (b.1877; d.1966) manufactured ‘Holly’ racingcycles and tandems from 1905. He had shops in Wood Green and Tottenham, London, where he was based until 1924. From 1933 to 1966 he was based in Luton where he was a very popular cycle builder.
Hodge is said to have inspired the likes of Maurice Selbach and Claud Butler with ideas such as tapered stays, steeper frame angles, wing nuts and fully brazed seat clusters.

In the 1920s and 1930s his cycles were used by many North London clubmen, such as Leon Meredith, with considerable success in time trials and road records. During this period he also had close connections with the phonograph and gramophone industry. Tandems were hugely popular in the 1930s as a means for couples to get out and enjoy cycling
and the countryside before motor cars became affordable.

THE COLLECTION’S EXHIBIT
It is rare to find a 1930s tandem in such good condition. This machine was originally painted white but was fully refurbished by Hodge in 1953 and has been in the same ownership ever since.

The Resilion front brake is a 1930s original while the GB Hiduminium rear brake is a 1950s replacement. It seems as if the Simplex derailleur was also fitted in the refurbishment to replace an earlier Simplex model, no doubt to upgrade from three to four gears.
When donated this tandem was in such good condition that it was ready to ride and only needed minor adjustment.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1603497635626.jpg
    FB_IMG_1603497635626.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 27
  • FB_IMG_1603497638291.jpg
    FB_IMG_1603497638291.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 28
  • FB_IMG_1603497643606.jpg
    FB_IMG_1603497643606.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
P

1938 A. J. HODGE TANDEM
Albert J. (Pop) Hodge (b.1877; d.1966) manufactured ‘Holly’ racingcycles and tandems from 1905. He had shops in Wood Green and Tottenham, London, where he was based until 1924. From 1933 to 1966 he was based in Luton where he was a very popular cycle builder.
Hodge is said to have inspired the likes of Maurice Selbach and Claud Butler with ideas such as tapered stays, steeper frame angles, wing nuts and fully brazed seat clusters.

In the 1920s and 1930s his cycles were used by many North London clubmen, such as Leon Meredith, with considerable success in time trials and road records. During this period he also had close connections with the phonograph and gramophone industry. Tandems were hugely popular in the 1930s as a means for couples to get out and enjoy cycling

THE COLLECTION’S EXHIBIT
It is rare to find a 1930s tandem in such good condition. This machine was originally painted white but was fully refurbished by Hodge in 1953 and has been in the same ownership ever since.

The Resilion front brake is a 1930s original while the GB Hiduminium rear brake is a 1950s replacement. It seems as if the Simplex derailleur was also fitted in the refurbishment to replace an earlier Simplex model, no doubt to upgrade from three to four gears.
When donated this tandem was in such good condition that it was ready to ride and only needed minor adjustment.
One of my great uncles tandems

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Until a couple of weeks ago I had never heard of Hodge as a bike name , then someone was selling a couple of frames and bike's on e bay and I did a bit of googling to see what I could find .

@Pop Hodges great niece welcome to the forum do you have any of his bike's ?

ellacat

1938 A. J. HODGE TANDEM

THE COLLECTION’S EXHIBIT

My husband’s great grandfather

bobpalin

Pop was my great grandfather, and no I'm not married to ellcat. As a youth I rode a Hodge all round the Luton area, it was originally made specially for my Aunt Rene who was a keen cyclist. When I outgrew it it was given to a younger cousin, I will have to enquire as to what happened to it.

aushodge

Hi I don’t have a hodge bike but i Believe pop hodge is my grandad. My dad was John Albert hodge, son of Frederick hodge who married violet Tomlinson. Unfortunately he died in 1934/5 leaving 3 children and a widow who were cut off from the family. my 2 brothers and I would love to know more about our estranged family history if anyone has more information. My dad cycled all his life

aushodge

Pop was my great grandfather, and no I'm not married to ellcat. As a youth I rode a Hodge all round the Luton area, it was originally made specially for my Aunt Rene who was a keen cyclist. When I outgrew it it was given to a younger cousin, I will have to enquire as to what happened to it.
Hi I have just registered with this site. I believe I am pops granddaughter. my dad was always trying to find a reconnect to his family but passed away before he could. His dad was the young Frederick. Any info you have on our family would be welcome

Linkin15

Hi, we too (Allen’s) are related to Pop Hodge and have the photo you have shared of him ‘great niece’ . It was strangely sent to me when my dad died a few years back by James Hodge who married my adopted sister. Only then did I find out the link.

My grandad was George Allen and his mother was Sarah Hodge. My son is now on Ancestry site and ‘building’ the tree - hence my research that brought me here!

Top Bottom