Porlock Hill (North Devon)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The hairpin slows you down, though it is still possible to overtake a motorcyclist (he caught me up in the village and gave me a thumbs-up).

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Oh dear. I've got a horrid feeling that come our ride in September, I might be walking up it, just to test the descent :crazy:

MudnRoadboy

The main problem with the Hill is the traffic You don't want to wobble or have to do the paperboy in front of a volvo driver . I took the toll road (about 6 miles at steady 1 in 14) as I had neglected to switch the commuter tyres on my MTB for the knobblies to repeat last years ride up Hawkcombe (bridlepath just inland that does the same vertical in about half a mile more than the Hill). Then went over to Dunkery (easy on MTB and do-able on a cyclocross or a roadie with tourer tyres).
On the other point, I can hit 34.5 on Holloway Hill in Godalming (4.2mph on the way home mind)

matthat

Über Member
I used to live in Minehead (18yrs ago) and have ridden up around the back of porlock on tracks from north hill and then come down porlock hill!! Would love to do it now cannot even remember what mtb i owned then.
Would move back to minehead at the drop of a hat!! :biggrin:

matthat

Über Member
porlock-hill.jpg
6021615-Porlock_Hill_Porlock.jpg

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
There are two toll roads to the top of Porlock Hill. One is as steep, if not steeper than, the main road. I know, cos I've ridden all three routes.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Up Lynmouth and down Porlock c1982.

Pictures somewhere!!

Davidc

Guru
1969. Up Porlock and down Countisbury into Lynmouth. With full camping touring kit.

Damaged the chain on Porlock and destroyed rear brakes and tyre on Countisbury.

2010. Down Porlock. Not as mad or invincible aged 58 as I was aged 17 so the maximum speed was only 28mph and even then the surface plus bends plus tourists in cars seriously scared me.

And - Porlock is quite a long way from the Devon border along the coast.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
2421464 said:
Did you make it all the way? I only ask because I have a memory from my childhood of being in the moris minor going down Porlock hill and, as we went round a corner, being met with the sight of a man turning a car and caravan around having bitten off too much. It was the only time I can recall my father swearing, ever.
Made it to the top, i was driving a 2 litre lancia hpe at the time, no probs, i think i would struggle more with the bike.^_^

Gapper07

I cycled up Porlock hill (the steep one without a toll) with three friends in 2012. We were goaded and laughed at by local villagers in the approach to the steep section of the hill... this merely solidified our resolve. We all managed to get up it. I was riding a triple and got up without walking... I did have to stop twice as my i thought my heart was going to leap out of my chest. My cycle buddies that day had to walk the steepest section - they were riding on compacts though. I think it's a very acheivable hill providing you have a triple chainset and don't mind going slow. The steep section does feel like it goes on forever but it does level out after the switchbacks to become a 'normal' climb - in many ways the 'normal' bit is harder than the steep bit as you're so deep in the burn by that point.
Dunkery beacon climb is slightly less steep but goes on much longer and has some brutal soggy, leaf covered cattle grids on it (it used to be a part of the Exmoor Beast cyclosportive before they moved it to Tiverton last year).

D

Deleted member 23692

I've been down it on my pannier laden Carlton in 1980.

All I can remember is that it didn't take long

Top Bottom