Portable espresso makers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Have you been banned from starting threads? Anyway, there's a 500ml stainless flask widely available (seen in Morrisons, Wilkinsons and John Lewis in recent years) which fits in a bottle cage pretty well and even better with an old armwarmer around it.

Yep. Flavoured with baby tears: http://www.babymilkaction.org/nestlefree

Do you remember a name? That's a tablespoonful more than a lungo/allongé but less than a caffè crema.
If you ask for an Americano in a touristy type place, you get coffee + water but if you go to a more "locals" type place you get it as I described. I've tried to get it here - Starbucks do an approximation called a double long shot, but most of the staff don't know about it. (Tell them to push the button marked "L" on the machine, twice.)

MntnMan62

Über Member
I would too, but there are limits and it works not well for multiday tours.

I agree. I have not been on biking trips that involved camping. But I have done a fair amount of backpacking. For those trips I pre-grind individual batches of coffee. I bring a plastic french press made for camping and a backpacking stove. It's not necessarily as fresh as I make at home but it's pretty darn close. And after all, everything tastes better in the woods.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
We'd need to know which method is more efficient at delivering bean/coffee from source to cup, there's a lot of waste at bean bagging, shipping, re-packing at local market, on shelf and then at the consumer, much more than bean to capsule:okay:

A large part of the environmental impact of coffee is at the growing stage (emissions, water, fertilizer). Pods typically use less coffee and less energy in preparation (per cup).

Last edited:
OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
Is it wrong of me that I really prefer Nespresso over most other coffees? I've got a moka pot, cafetiere, drip machine and so on but nothing beats a Lungo coffee out of a Nespresso for me.

I discovered the Spanish version of Americano a couple of years ago. Basically they just let the water keep going through the coffee until it fills a small cup - about 140ml. Much richer than an Americano topped up with hot water but not as overpowering as an expresso. A Nespresso lets me make a fair facsimile of this and the portable machine gives something similar.
I wonder if that's what I had a few years ago?

Sat in the top lounge on an Irish Ferry (eat your heart out James Bond) and I asked the waiter (a Spaniard) for an espresso.

He said that the machine didn't do one, but he would make me something that I'd like, whatever he did the coffee he brought back was top class.

Joey Shabadoo

All this talk of coffee
20201123_155438.jpg

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The thing that baffles me about coffee is when two thirds of the world's coffee fanatics are debating whether the water should be 92 or 96 degrees when it hits the grinds to avoid scalding the coffee, and the rest are saying just use a stove-top pot :wacko:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Is it wrong of me that I really prefer Nespresso over most other coffees? I've got a moka pot, cafetiere, drip machine and so on but nothing beats a Lungo coffee out of a Nespresso for me.

I discovered the Spanish version of Americano a couple of years ago. Basically they just let the water keep going through the coffee until it fills a small cup - about 140ml. Much richer than an Americano topped up with hot water but not as overpowering as an expresso. A Nespresso lets me make a fair facsimile of this and the portable machine gives something similar.
Yes.

well you did ask :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The thing that baffles me about coffee is when two thirds of the world's coffee fanatics are debating whether the water should be 92 or 96 degrees when it hits the grinds to avoid scalding the coffee, and the rest are saying just use a stove-top pot :wacko:
Oh I think you'll find it's far worse than that! The temperature wonks are debating whether the kettle should have an element in the base or a helical one around the goose neck so it's exactly the specified temperature as it leaves the spout; while the stove-top pot bunch are arguing over steel versus aluminium, whether to preheat the boiler and whether to use a filter paper... and then there's the espressoids debating every setting and everything from manual lever to fully automatic! :wacko:

Urgh. Even just thinking about it makes me need a coffee...

Joey Shabadoo

Oh I think you'll find it's far worse than that! The temperature wonks are debating whether the kettle should have an element in the base or a helical one around the goose neck so it's exactly the specified temperature as it leaves the spout; while the stove-top pot bunch are arguing over steel versus aluminium, whether to preheat the boiler and whether to use a filter paper... and then there's the espressoids debating every setting and everything from manual lever to fully automatic! :wacko:

Then there's the whole salt/no salt conundrum.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

When i was a copywriter i used to have to write articles for a coffee supplier's website, which mostly involved quickly paraphrasing (plagiarising) existing articles, which were full of wild and contradictory claims. One of the best (and quite frequent) claims was that it takes at least ten years of training to become a barista... err.... nope... I'm not buying that.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I have used a small finjan to make Turkish/Arab style coffee on a campfire. Not quite like this though.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CMmA8bEBPuw

It is probably a close relation to cowboy coffee.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7UAoT21eqXI

Does anyone know where to get a large coffeepot thst can be packed into a small saddlebag

That Turkish/Arab style of coffee is intriguing. One of the reasons it's probably so good is all the ingredients are very fresh. Freshly roasted for the brew, then ground and made on the spot. Added freshly ground spices. What's not to like? I'd probably want to try it made by someone who knows what they are doing first to see if it's something I want to get into making for myself.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
I can confirm the incineration test. :laugh: Accidentally left mine on the stove for 45 minutes - got distracted by a Teams meeting, only realised the coffee pot was still on half way through the meeting !

I did that once. The seal melted and must have left traces behind which I couldn't get rid of as the coffee always tasted and smelled of rubber after that.

Top Bottom