Posh housewife and poor chartered accountant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greedo

husband on the debate can't afford to buy a house.

Aye you can!!!!! ya daft boot

Not just the one you and hubby want in some leafy suburb instead of starting at the bottom like we all did and working your way up the ladder. Folk like her wind me up so much it's unreal. Stupid cow

Mark_Robson

lol yep, she had me in tears.

Mille

I suppose me mentioning the fact that Nick Clegg thinks that 'well off' people don't watch PM debates is a little redundant?

buggi

Bird Saviour
yea, but to be honest, i'm glad she asked the question. i'm on quite a good wage compared to some, a wage i never thought i'd earn when i was younger, but i live in a one bedroomed flat and i struggle from month to month. she's right... it's getting hard for even people on good wages to get a mortgage, so what hope has the rest of the population got, and that's the point she was getting at.

of course, i could have got a cheaper flat... if i wanted to move to the equivalent of the bronx/downtown detroit where i would be scared to walk down the street or leave my car parked outside my house.

while i'm at it... shared housing... you know when you pay rent and mortgage... total fukin rip off. the housing association own half the house for which you pay rent... you then have to fork out for repairs (they don't? why not?) or improvements (they don't? why not, they own half the house?) and then when you want to buy some more they have the house re-valued (!!!) and then if you've spent money improving the house, obviously the house price is up... so you have to pay the housing association more money for more share in the house! effectively... you just paid for that improvement twice. fukin rip-off. meanwhile you are paying rent on the bit you don't own, when in fact you would just be better off paying a full mortgage.

OP
OP
G

Greedo

Mark_Robson said:
lol yep, she had me in tears.

That's the problem with this country. people want all the trappings NOW instead of working for it, grafting and earning the right to have the nice things, house and car. My first flat was £34k 11 years ago and not in a place I would have chose to live but needs must and it was mine. Mrs greedo bought an ex council flat for £38k 10 years ago in a place she didn't particulary want to live but could see the big picture for the future

Brown should have just asked "can I ask how much you earn" and would have won every normal persons vote when she said, well he earns £45k.

Mille

Greedo said:
That's the problem with this country. people want all the trappings NOW instead of working for it, grafting and earning the right to have the nice things, house and car.

That's what 13 years of a labour gov tells people.

buggi

Bird Saviour
my mum (who has lived a number of years now) says it's always the same. labour get in and spend all the money, then conservative get in and fix it, and then labour get in and spend it again and then conservative get in and fix it and so on and so on. i think she's voting conservative.

Mille

buggi said:
while i'm at it... shared housing... you know when you pay rent and mortgage... total fukin rip off. the housing association own half the house for which you pay rent... you then have to fork out for repairs (they don't? why not?) or improvements (they don't? why not, they own half the house?) and then when you want to buy some more they have the house re-valued (!!!) and then if you've spent money improving the house, obviously the house price is up... so you have to pay the housing association more money for more share in the house! effectively... you just paid for that improvement twice. fukin rip-off. meanwhile you are paying rent on the bit you don't own, when in fact you would just be better off paying a full mortgage.

I sort of understand what you are saying but you still have to pay the maintenance on ALL the house you own as well as paying the WHOLE mortgate on the WHOLE thing so maybe you do save a little (short term) somewhere.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Mille said:
I sort of understand what you are saying but you still have to pay the maintenance on ALL the house you own as well as paying the WHOLE mortgate on the WHOLE thing so maybe you do save a little (short term) somewhere.

i looked into it... by the time i added the rent and mortgage together, i was better off getting a full mortgage.

so basically... the shared house was worth more than my flat. the monthly payment for the shared house would have been £800. the monthly payment on my flat is £700. i can get a mortgage for the shared house at the time because i would be paying £500 mortgage and £300 rent because they would have lent me less, but they still knew i'd have to find another 300. i couldn't get a mortgage for my flat even tho the payment would have been £700 a month. i would have actually been in more debt having the shared house. eventually, i got a promotion at work and was able to buy the flat.

the only way it works out is if there is a drop in house prices and then you are able to buy some more share in the house at the lower price. unfortunately for me, that has now happened. LOL bloody typical. but seriously, this wouldn't normally happen. my friend couldn't do anything to her house until it was all bought by her, for fear of bumping the price up AND she still had to pay ALL of the maintenance on the house even though it didn't all belong to her. her rent and mortgage was more than she would have been paying had they lent her the full mortgage, but they wouldn't lend her the whole amount.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Actually, I sympathise with her. There's nothing wrong with wanting to live in a decent part of town. The lady also said she had two children and unfortunately, to get your kids into half decent schools these days, you have to live in the nicer parts of town which are more expensive. And most mums want their kids to go to good schools and get a good education.

Mark_Robson

Cathryn said:
Actually, I sympathise with her. There's nothing wrong with wanting to live in a decent part of town. The lady also said she had two children and unfortunately, to get your kids into half decent schools these days, you have to live in the nicer parts of town which are more expensive. And most mums want their kids to go to good schools and get a good education.
So rather than trying to focus on improving everyone's lot lets leave the lower classes to rot and lets make housing in the nicer areas with better schools more affordable for accountants?

Top Bottom