Posh housewife and poor chartered accountant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Mark_Robson said:
So rather than trying to focus on improving everyone's lot lets leave the lower classes to rot and lets make housing in the nicer areas with better schools more affordable for accountants?

I know it's wrong, I totally agree...but I want the best for my baby. I don't want him to suffer in some fight for equality. I know, I know...just being honest.

Mark_Robson

Cathryn said:
I know it's wrong, I totally agree...but I want the best for my baby. I don't want him to suffer in some fight for equality. I know, I know...just being honest.
Thank you for being honest. Although I don't agree with your opinion I understand your motives.

rh100

Greedo said:
husband on the debate can't afford to buy a house.

Aye you can!!!!! ya daft boot

Not just the one you and hubby want in some leafy suburb instead of starting at the bottom like we all did and working your way up the ladder. Folk like her wind me up so much it's unreal. Stupid cow

I agree Greedo, that was just taking the pi55. Any one of those speakers could have gained credibility by challenging her, but instead pandered to it. The people we least need to worry about in this country are bloomin accountants.

buggi

Bird Saviour
actually, i agree with Cathryn. When you earn a decent wage why should you be living in a rough part of town where your kids will be brought up with gang warfare, you're scared to walk down the road, scared to park your car and leave it in case it ain't there when you get back, and your neighbours are ASBO warriors. that's why you work hard to get yourself up the ladder.
She was a housewife, he was a chartered accountant, so one income. they prob have the same income as a couple with two pretty decent jobs, who can't afford somewhere decent either.
Her point wasn't really "woe is me", what she was trying to say to the politicians was... if they find it difficult, then how bad must it be for people on less incomes. She had a valid point. They are not benefit claiming scum, they are decent people, and it's disgusting that when you are on a decent wage, a standard house is a nice area is out of your reach, and its all down the government fuking up the economy and letting the banks run riot

I found it odd that the woman and her husband could not afford a house, yet they had children. Why could she not have delayed having her family until she had the house she wanted? Could she not accept that she cannot have her cake and eat it?

Mark_Robson

buggi said:
actually, i agree with Cathryn. Her point wasn't really "woe is me", what she was trying to say to the politicians was... if they find it difficult, then how bad must it be for people on less incomes.
Actually I don't think that she was thinking of anyone other than her family. She is the epitome of the "want now" society that we live in.

Crankarm

Guru
buggi said:
actually, i agree with Cathryn. When you earn a decent wage why should you be living in a rough part of town where your kids will be brought up with gang warfare, you're scared to walk down the road, scared to park your car and leave it in case it ain't there when you get back, and your neighbours are ASBO warriors. that's why you work hard to get yourself up the ladder.
She was a housewife, he was a chartered accountant, so one income. they prob have the same income as a couple with two pretty decent jobs, who can't afford somewhere decent either.
Her point wasn't really "woe is me", what she was trying to say to the politicians was... if they find it difficult, then how bad must it be for people on less incomes. She had a valid point. They are not benefit claiming scum, they are decent people, and it's disgusting that when you are on a decent wage, a standard house is a nice area is out of your reach, and its all down the government fuking up the economy and letting the banks run riot

Who supervises the banks' and companies' balance sheets? Auditors - who are basically accountants. Weren't some of the top accountancy firms coniving with the banks to sign off their accounts as an accurate and true reflection of the accounts of the business right up until the crash happened?

I nearly choked on one my brussel sprouts when she asked her question. Luckily it flew out and hit the toaster :smile:. What a silly mare. Her husband can't be that good an accountant if he can't manage his own financial affairs such that he and his family have some where decent to live. The few accountants I know, and can't say I know that many, are rolling in dosh living in rather desireable properties in smart areas. Something doesn't add up, she wasn't telling the whole story. Perhaps her husband is a turf accountant :blush:?

rh100

I'm surprised the royals weren't on there moaning about how expensive it is running their estates nowadays ;)

OP
OP
G

Greedo

She really was an idiot. She lives in Birmingham, not Knightsbridge.

I don't believe for one min there is not an area near her that is not semi decent whilst not her "ideal" property in a leafy stockbroker belt. people have mentioned ghettos and really bad areas. I wasn't meaning you have to buy in a really shite area but there must be alternatives in the area. There is an inbetween. Still annoys me thinking about her. If one of the 3 leaders just said. "Oh f*ck off, not worthy of an answer next question" they could have sat with their feet up for the rest of the week in the knowledge they would win by a landslide

brokenbetty

Über Member
buggi said:
t's disgusting that when you are on a decent wage, a standard house is a nice area is out of your reach, and its all down the government fuking up the economy and letting the banks run riot

No it isn't.

It's because the government would rather bail out people who borrowed more than they can afford than let the housing market adjust to real incomes. That's why the base rate is 0.5% but new buyers can't get much less than 4% - because the gvt would rather avoid the forced sales that amplified the last crash than allow house prices to find their natural level.

And unfair though that is, it's probably also the right call.

colly

Re member eR
Greedo said:
That's the problem with this country. people want all the trappings NOW

Quite.

One of my sons who earns considerably less than 45 grand, has managed to get himself a house, not a rough area, reasonable schools, isn't scared to go out at night, nice neighbours. Of course he is mortgaged up to the eyeballs.
How did he manage it.
Well he worked hard, saved his money, bought a small (but not miniscule) house, drives a small old car, buys nothing he doesn't have the money for there and then, and only goes out when he can afford it.

One step at a time.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. Was left wondering what they spent their money on, such that they couldn't afford to put a deposit down on a house.

Top Bottom