Possible bottom bracket issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tomb1990

Hi All,
I have had a Boardman CX comp for 2 years now with no issues, have always kept it clean for commuting and not used it for anything else. Whilst riding today, as I pushed off from a stationary start, there was a noise (sounded like a dodgy gear change) and now I can’t change down on the front derailleur. Managed to nurse it home and upon inspection have noticed the chainring has rubbed on the frame and the front derailleur has rubbed on crank arm. Checked the gear cable and that’s ok but other than that I’m a novice so any advice would be welcomed to diagnose the issue!

wisdom

Guru
A pic would help.
Check chaining bolts.

gbb

Legendary Member
Rotate cranks slowly and monitor the distance between the chainring teeth and say the chainstay (the tube from your bottom bracket to the rear wheel).
Does that distance vary ?
It's possible to bend a chainring.
Its remotely possible the BB itself has collapsed although I'd expect you to have felt a problem before it failed so horribly.
Snapped crank axle, highly unlikely but possible.

Look at all the tube welds around the bottom bracket, any cracks ?

As suggested up post, are the chainring bolts tight ?

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
T

Tomb1990

Thanks guys, the 3 out of the 5 chainring bolts were tight. Have the other 2 a little tighten. I’ve put some electrical tape over the frame to see if they chain ring catches that. The front derailleur (read somewhere else they are a little soft and might’ve opened slightly) so I pushed it back in slightly and now have both gears working at the front too. Think that explains the rubbing on the crank arm off the derailleur too?

Top Bottom