possible buys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
I been coming up with a list of possible 1st time road bikes having tried some out with no luck and having a yet another look round,

I wonder what you think

Scott Speedster 20 2017

Ribble Sportive Racing Tiagra SE

Ribble Gran Fondo Sora

RT-58 V2 Alloy Endurance Bike

Planet X RT-80 SRAM 11 Rival Road Bike Last Love Edition (though this one went up in price the day i went to oder one so may have too see if comes dow again)

The planet x and the Scott i can go and try as shop near me.

Just not sure about the spec which one win over all i have an idea re the gears but as for wheels ect am not sure

So what you think or do have a better one to add to the list?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
None of them are bad bikes, but it depends what suits you when you try it.
The Ribble Gran Fondo looks great, but is only a Sora groupset - nothing wrong with that, but there are better out there.

What about a Giant Contend?

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
@NorthernDave thanks will take a good look at the contend had a quick look and the gruopset dont look too great.

As you say better gruopset than Sora be a case of maybe replacing it with better if the bike is worth it.

Going to try the Scott tomorrow hopefully will see what others they have at the same time too.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't get too hung up on groupos. Try to throw a leg over if you can, that will push you one way or the other. The market around a grand is very competitive. If I were you I'd look at used as you can save quite a bit of money on almost new bikes.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
@Cycleops thanks for the reply. Yes 2rd hand is something i've been thinking. I did find a good buy from a bike shop that had a shop solid bike. when i went to look the shop basically had lost the bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go try them out and decide which YOU like best. As a first time purchase, get the right frame, geometry and look, don’t get too hung up on the minutiae of spec.

That said, Personally I’d avoid Sora as the hoods are imo really ugly :blush:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
What didn't you like about the ones you tried out? And what were they?

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
@SpokeyDokey well i've only been able to try out RT-80 which felt ok but a little uncountable. But the guy in shop worked that out and told me what i needed. a few of thinking about i found the price went up.

Not had chance to try other yet. But have plan to so will know more soon.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
I called into Ribble shop today and tried out a sportive the guy was really helpful and measured me up for one.
Emailed me the info well I was in the shop.

I can get the bike with one of the following groupsets

The question is which is best and is it worth the extra £95 difference for the group set?

Shimano 11 Speed Groupset
RS510 172.5mm 34/50 Chainset
R8000 STI Levers
5800 cassette
R8000 Short cage rear derailleur & Braze-On Front derailleu
Sora 3000 Brakes
HG601 Chain

Shimano Tiagra 4700 Groupset - 10 Speed
34/50 Compact Chainset
12/28 cassette
Short cage rear derailleur
Tiagra brakes

DaveT

Über Member
Ive a bike with tiagra and find it just as good, if not better than the 10 speed 105 groupset I've on my other bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you live in a hilly area? If so, get an 11-32 cassette for which you’ll need a medium or long cage derailleur, whichever groupset you’ll choose

For £95 more, get the 105, it’ll cost you much more to upgrade if you decide to do so. Can you get the Tiagra or 105 brakes for not too much more?

bpsmith

Veteran
That actually looks more like an Ultegra setup than 105, with the spec listed. Non series crank and lower spec brakes aside.

Top Bottom