Possible Lacing Patterns?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Kennedy

I have a normal 36 hole rim, and 36 spokes originally in the x3 pattern.
I was wondering, can I try different lacing patterns without needing a different rim, hub or spokes? Or am I stuck with x3?

I'm guessing there are websites which list wheel lacing patterns, but I can't find any (good ones) xx(
Can anyone recommend one?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Sam Kennedy said:
I have a normal 36 hole rim, and 36 spokes originally in the x3 pattern.
I was wondering, can I try different lacing patterns without needing a different rim, hub or spokes? Or am I stuck with x3?

I'm guessing there are websites which list wheel lacing patterns, but I can't find any (good ones) xx(
Can anyone recommend one?

Your hubs and rims don't particularly care which lacing pattern you use.

normgow

Guru
You can build wheels 4x 3x 2x 1x and 0x (Radial) . It might be possible to build 5x 6x etc . I've never tried.
You don't need different hubs or rims only different length spokes depending on the number of crosses.
The less crosses , the stiffer the wheel. Also less comfort as the spring effect of the shorter spokes is reduced.
It is possible to build for example a rear wheel with 3x on the left hand side and 4x on the right hand (gear) side to compensate for the differing spoke tensions. You could also vary the spoke gauges here having thinner spokes on the 3x side as it takes less load.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
accountantpete said:

don't open pete's link, that's the way to obscurity just for the sake of it

i did, and look where it got me:biggrin: 36 spoke crows foot

PICT0213-1.jpg

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Can you use a hub that's already been laced (say) 3x ifor a different pattern?

I wouldn't swear to it, but I think I've read that hubs must be laced the same way...

PpPete

Legendary Member
JTM - The reason for relacing the hubs in the same pattern is purely cosmetic. The highly tensioned steel spoke will deform the spoke hole and maybe the surface of the rim slightly (as the rim is softish aluminium). If you relace the opposite way or in a different pattern that deformation will be visible (to anyone who examines your hubs from a distance of 6 inches or so).
Some argue that it weakens the hub.... can't see it myself, after all spokes is round so deformation of the ally is not sharp cornered, so no stress riser.

Sam
Er - Stick with 3X and get on with riding the damn thing ?. There have been fashions for different patterns over the years. None of them have been shown to be better than conventional 3X AFAIK.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Thanks Pete - I knew I'd read it, just couldn't remember what the rationale was.

I'd echo a preference for 3x, personally, but then my wheel builds have all been for fairly regularly used bikes.

Top Bottom