Possible new hobby?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
As well as cycling of course, I am thinking about starting a new hobby: flying model petrol planes. Anyone on here doing that already and if so, advise me on costs to get started, literature to read etc.... Many thanks.

pplpilot

Guru
Whatever you spend on cycling... Quadruple it then add some more...

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Its very expensive, and time consuming. My son has a couple of helicopters, and they are bad enough. There are always things going wrong with them. You won't have time to ride your bike and you certainly wont be abke to afford to buy new things for your bike.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Maybe it is time to think again and stick to the bike. At least I know where I am going with that. ( in both senses of the word !)

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
You can get a decent trainer set up for less than £300.
IC powered planes have greatly decreased in popularity, electric power being more common at the flying fields I go to.
I'd recommend joining a club in order to learn to fly, if you try to teach yourself you'd better have deep pockets. www.bmfa.org should help you find a local club.

pplpilot

Guru
Are you serious?

I gave up the radio controlled stuff and took up the real thing, it was cheaper! But Joking apart its like any hobby/interest/pastime, there are the cheap entry level then theres always that little bit more you'd like, that next thing up in the range that'll give you that tiny bit more for a stack load of cash more. It is jolly good fun though...Until you crash 600 quids worth...

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I just hope you have deep pockets, you'll need to. As smokeysmoo says, can you aford to bring your hobby home in a bin bag because you will, often to begin with.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
A couple of mates run a model shop where I help out now and then. When a newbie comes in for advice I always say ' You WILL crash, the better you get the less you crash, however your crashes will be more expensive!'
I know a couple of blokes that have piled several thousand pounds worth of jet into the deck, it hasn't put them off.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Ok guys, I get it and gone right off the idea. My bank balance and my wife wouldn't be able to take it. I will stick to cycling. By the way, I tried golf years ago and:
1) was rubbish at it.
2) was bored with it after a few holes.
3) hated every minute of it.
So cycling remain my baby as I am happy with it and can stand the cost.

Top Bottom