Post a touring photo, no explanation needed. Just to help me dream. I’ll kick off.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_m

Guru
Day 24
http://www.webm8.co.uk/riddler/photographs_other/transam-2012/day-0024/index.html

0015.jpg

Simon_m

Guru

Simon_m

Guru
How do people view a touring cyclist out there? Been to US many times but never on a bike.
hi there. It is pretty much like here. you get some jerks who drive too close, most seem to just "drive", so dont slow down to overtake if a car is coming in the other direction, they will just skim past you and the other car. It also depends on which State you are in. Some drivers are better or more considerate. Some roads are busier, like if you get on a main road in Kentucky, you will get non stop coal trucks. We nearly got killed buy a lorry later on in the trip. Also the roads are mixed, some good, some bad. most have rumble strips along the side of the road which is annoying when cycling. Also lots of glass and rubbish in the side of the road. Then there are the chasing dogs, the weather/winds. I would recommend the trip or just cycling in the US. Pennsylvania is nice and pretty, Virginia, and i guess other states too in their own way.

There is a TransAm "thing" along the route where a lot of people do help out cyclists on this route, so that is good. Maybe in really small towns touring cyclists might still be seen as fair game hippies, but being English, I never got that. Most were helpful, giving directions, offering drinks, generally nice people. I think if you are self contained you need to know the laws of each place you stay, sometimes you can only camp in the town if you let the sheriff know, probably for your safety too so they can keep an eye out.

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
what is the Way of the Roses, looks nice
Way of the Roses is a Sustrans way marked route from Morecombe Bay on the west coast and ends in Bridlington on the East Coast.. apart from a monster climb out of Settle and a very steep could be very fast descent into Pately Bridge it is all very family friendly. The Way of the Roses is because its Lancashire and Yorkshire. We cycle camped but there is plenty of accommodation on route.

Simon_m

Guru
Way of the Roses is a Sustrans way marked route from Morecombe Bay on the west coast and ends in Bridlington on the East Coast.. apart from a monster climb out of Settle and a very steep could be very fast descent into Pately Bridge it is all very family friendly. The Way of the Roses is because its Lancashire and Yorkshire. We cycle camped but there is plenty of accommodation on route.
oh wow sounds lovely. Great trip :smile:

Top Bottom