England : Devon Post-Covid-restrictions forum ride from Exeter. 80-100+ km (50-60+ miles). Sat, 26th June, 2021.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This is VERY provisional, but I am posting now so you can write the date in your diaries if you think that you might be interested. Let's have something nice to look forward to, eh? :smile:

All being well, I will be visiting my sister near Exeter at the end of June. I am going down with a friend and we will be taking our bikes. We wondered if any of you would like to meet up for a post-restrictions social ride?

Ride date: Sat, 26th June; reserve date: Sun, 27th June. (That is in case we have freak storms forecast for the Saturday and glorious sunshine on the Sunday!)

I think that we will probably cover 80-100+ kms (50-60+ miles), heading out towards Dartmoor, and doing a big loop back. I haven't worked out an exact route yet but will do soon. Watch this space!

I prefer quiet roads and like hills so we will probably be doing lots of singletrack lumpy lanes. I'm hoping that we wouldn't have problems with traffic on such narrow roads - Street View pictures certainly make me think that we wouldn't encounter many vehicles. I just Street-viewed about 2 hours worth of lanes and only saw 2 vehicles in those pictures!

Average speed will be LOW - we will be riding steadily, but taking time to enjoy the scenery and chat. I wouldn't be surprised if we were out for 6-9 hours. PLEASE don't come along and then moan about the slow speed... It doesn't happen often but it has done once or twice in my past forum rides so pay attention - WE WILL BE SLOW, NOT QUICK, TAKE ALL DAY, BE IN NO RUSH, RIDE AT SPEED OF SLOWEST - ha ha! :okay:

The hills will be quite tiring, so despite the low speed it won't be a ride for unfit riders. Just bring some cycling endurance and a bike with low enough gears (or motor-assistance!) though and you should be fine. I have no objection to you sprinting off up any hill to stretch your legs as long as (a) you wait at the top or (b) know the route and wait at any junction before the summit that we are turning off at. If you go way ahead regardless of what everyone else is doing and get yourself lost, that is your problem!

I'll try to find somewhere nice to stop for coffee, cake etc. on the way.

This post will be updated regularly so keep an eye on it if it is of interest.

Rider list:
  • ColinJ + (non-forum member) pal Carrie
  • POST BELOW TO GET YOUR NAME ADDED HERE!

newts

Veteran
Sunday th 27th is the Nello charity ride from Topsham, 100 mile & 58 mile routes.
https://forcecancercharity.co.uk/events-calendar/the-nello-2021/
I'll be riding the shorter of the routes on Sunday.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sunday th 27th is the Nello charity ride from Topsham, 100 mile & 58 mile routes.
https://forcecancercharity.co.uk/events-calendar/the-nello-2021/
I'll be riding the shorter of the routes on Sunday.
Oh, bad timing on my part, but I don't have much choice on the date because there is a big family reunion planned around then.

I'm probably going to do a ride the following Monday or Tuesday from Tiverton to Minehead via Haddon Hill and back over Dunkery Beacon.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If I'm around I'd be up for this, or another Nello. Or both. I am of course retired and happy riding on quiet weekdays.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

If I'm around I'd be up for this, or another Nello. Or both. I am of course retired and happy riding on quiet weekdays.
Great!

What is your view on Devon's tiny singletrack lanes? I can see that there would be problems if encountering many vehicles coming the other way but the Street View cars didn't seem to suffer that problem.

Many of the A-roads and B-roads that I looked at seemed fairly quiet on SV too but they weren't as appealing, and any cars that did come along would probably be travelling much faster.

I know that nickyboy wasn't a big fan of the smaller roads after his Devon holiday last year, but I still feel drawn to them.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The lanes are fine (enough room generally for a car & a bike to pass), as are most of the B-roads and some of the A-roads. There are also several good 'old roads' that used to be main routes; the most recent being the old A30.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I could possibly do the 26th but would be more interested in popping across for the ride from Tiverton.
I'll try to keep THIS ride on the Saturday but the Tiverton ride will have to fit in with family plans so the date might not be finalised until a few days before, but I'll post details either here or in another ride thread nearer the time.

Top Bottom